Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: OK I came back after 25 years last March

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default OK I came back after 25 years last March

I practiced. I learned the game and equipment changed. I adjusted to it. I joined a senior afternoon league and with my mindset I wasn't ready for it. Yes I do have some issues, I couldn't be cooped up for 3-4 hours with people that are there to socialize instead of bowl. I quit the league, no hard feelings. Now I seem to be loosing interest in it at all. Dam I was brought up bowling action and worked in the house when I was young. Everyday I say ok tomorrow I'll go throw a few games, then I say why? I'm battling depression, anxiety etc. I thought bowling would be my release and a reason to get out of my house.......

Talk me into going back, I have 2 new balls, new shoes, had a coach etc.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Find a different league. Go back to a coach. Try some low-dollar sweeper tournaments. Practice more. Get even more coaching. Buy a third ball. Get a three-ball tote. Try a singles league. Bowl against people half your age. DON'T QUIT!!

Just look at the bright side. I bowl in a senior "almost scratch" league where most of the bowlers approach it like they're bowling the U.S. Open each week. That drives me nuts! I bowled yesterday with my best friend who just turned 50 so it was his first time in a senior league. He was absolutely astounded at how seriously they take it, demanding a two-lane courtesy that usually turns into three. Keep in mind that my friend is a former USBC All-Events Champion and was, at one time, the PBA Western Regional Rookie of the Year. This guy can bowl, and yet he's doing it for fun and the opportunity to bowl with me, and to socialize. The point of this is that bowling can be whatever we want it to be. Don't quit just because it's not perfect... as a senior, our goal should be to have fun at whatever we do; it beats the hell out of the alternative!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    I practiced. I learned the game and equipment changed. I adjusted to it. I joined a senior afternoon league and with my mindset I wasn't ready for it. Yes I do have some issues, I couldn't be cooped up for 3-4 hours with people that are there to socialize instead of bowl. I quit the league, no hard feelings. Now I seem to be loosing interest in it at all. Dam I was brought up bowling action and worked in the house when I was young. Everyday I say ok tomorrow I'll go throw a few games, then I say why? I'm battling depression, anxiety etc. I thought bowling would be my release and a reason to get out of my house.......

Talk me into going back, I have 2 new balls, new shoes, had a coach etc.
    Sounds like you could use a bowling partner. Idealy, it would be some one local who would meet you at the alley and either practice with you or bowl a few games in friendly competition with you. Next best would be some one who will hold you accountable when you say that you're going to go bowling.

Another suggestion that is supposed to help in dealing with depression is to get involved in volunteer service. There should be a variety of opportunities to serve so you may be able to find one that is a match for your talents and temperment.
    John

Cranker

I think you need to ask yourself why you bowl? Do you bowl because you just love the sport or did you love the action part of it? If it was for the action, then find yourself a more competitive league and stoke that competitive spirit. Or if you just love to bowl then try to remember that.

Also for any type of depression, I think the focus is always too much on what you don't have than appreciating what you do have. Try to enjoy that you are still physically able to bowl and have the means to bowl and that things could be much worse if you didn't have either.

Chats: 4

Lou, what they all said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do not give up just because of some of the other bowlers are
    not taking it too seriously and just want to drink and socialize
    just find yourself a more serious league maybe a money league
    to join and get back to that competitive spirit again.

I know what you are going through I just went through it several
    times on the fall league. I thought about quitting several times
    because of one of my teammates, he was always off talking to
    someone and we'd have to go find him when it was his turn or he
    would just come in drunk or he'd get too drunk to bowl every week.

Now this summer I've got a team that takes it more seriously but
    not so serious that it takes the fun out of it but at least we're not
    having to stand around waiting on our bowler to show up.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Pin Crusher

Get in to see a Doctor immediately. It sounds like you are suffering from depression. Don't wait do it today.....
    It is not a bowling problem...

Lou, Sounds like you've been through a lot regarding bowling as a senior player as have I. After my wife's encouragement I checked out the local lanes senior league that meets early on Wednesdays. Didn't know a soul and have made friends. Started out with my scores in the 160's with my brand new reactive resin ball which I didn't know what to do with. After a few months of this I put my mind into getting better and attempt to learn the new game like you apparently did.
    Actually I realized that I never thought of bowling like I do now. I put my engineering hat back on and did some serious considerations about the lanes, the ball and myself. I even went to a coach like you did, too. My experience with coaches in years past were not good at all. My attitude has changed dramatically.
    So far, so good. I'm going to stick with the senior league as this was where I started back into the sport. I've graduated to one of the best average bowlers in that league which doesn't say much.
    If I can encourage others to do better, that's what I do. Helping others is likely what we're here for.
    If you're battling depression and all that, that's something I don't have much experience with. Some of my relatives have dealt with it and it can get pretty darn serious if not taken care of.
    Like you I've bought new balls, bags and shoes. I have all kinds of tape that I've learned how to use to protect my fingers and thumb. I know the local pro shop owner very well and he takes good care of me. I've made pretty drastic changes in the layout of my grip to allow my arthritic finger tips continue to handle the release fairly well. I look forward to each outing.
    Perhaps that's all you need is to change your attitude somehow and get to a place where you're looking forward to the next outing.
    Another alley holds a 9-pin no tap tourney for seniors every now and then. I even won it a couple of times! Yippee! Looking forward to the next one!
    Good luck Lou. Get out there and bowl my friend...

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Get in to see a Doctor immediately. It sounds like you are suffering from depression. Don't wait do it today.....
    It is not a bowling problem...
    If you think you might be suffering from depression, you need to get it checked out, if you aren't being treated get into see your Dr. If you are being treated you still need to see the Dr if symptoms are not improving.
    If it's nothing that's great, but remember there are treatments available you don't have to suffer....
    There will always be some annoying characters that you'll run into either bowling or whatever you do, get the tools you need to help prevent them from getting to you....
    it's not worth it, we're bowling for fun, stress relief and to get out and see friends.....take care of yourself !

Cranker

Ok too many great answers to quote you all. as far as taking care of the depression it is also anxiety and stress, I am actually on Social security disability for this. I worked on Wall ST. for almost 30 years now I can't read well really concentrate on something as simple as a loan form..

I would love a steady bowling partner, Monday, Tues mornings it's a buck a game at my house and Thurs afternoon also. The only one I bowl is my coach and I can't afford to pay him, he does bowl with me if I ask but I feel guilty because he still teaches me and I am not paying him.. (BTW he is Tampabaybob)on here. I also know my pso who happens to be Tom Dourghty.

I started driving a few mornings for Uber to get me out of the house and I enjoy it because I can stop and go home anytime I want to, on the league I felt confined, I had to be there until it was over and we for some reason were always the last ones out. Like someone said had to search for people. It only takes one issue to put me in an anxious mood for the day, I got so annoyed I actually told her to get to the approach and bowl.

This thread has given me some motivation, hopefully I will go Monday morning and hook up with someone I know and try to make it weekly. Lot's of the seniors bowl on Monday's but I do not want to get in a group just yet again.

I for sure need practice I quit the league averaging 154...lol, Yet I can shoot from 130 to 230 in the same set.

I am also now 100lbs overweight and have copd. So me bowling is like running...lol
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast