Thread: What's the rule about switching from 2 hands to one hand in league play?

Chats: 10

Default What's the rule about switching from 2 hands to one hand in league play?

I believe if a player starts with one hand in league, they can't switch to the other hand. Is that correct?
    What about if a bowler starts two hands, are they allowed to switch to one hand?
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Chats: 4

I'm not real sure about league but on the PBA
    Osku Palermaa switches to one hand to shoot
    some spares like the 10 pin.

I don't think you're allowed to switch hands like
    going from using your right hand and then switching
    to your left hand to bowl unless you are injured or
    something like that then it has to approved with the
    league to switch hand during the season I think.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    I believe if a player starts with one hand in league, they can't switch to the other hand. Is that correct?
    Yes, If you start the league right-handed you can't switch to left-handed (except under certain circumstances and you get the leagues permission and you have to reestablish your average.)

What about if a bowler starts two hands, are they allowed to switch to one hand?
    If you mean using a two-handed approach (Not to be confused with the two-handed delivery).

Then Yes, since both deliveries are with the same dominate hand, the bowler is considered not to have changed delivery. Therefore it is not in violation of any USBC rules.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-07-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Yes, If you start the league right-handed you can't switch to left-handed (except under certain circumstances and you get the leagues permission and you have to reestablish your average.)

If you mean using a two-handed approach (Not to be confused with the two-handed delivery).

Then Yes, since both deliveries are with the same dominate hand, the bowler is considered not to have changed delivery. Therefore it is not in violation of any USBC rules.
    I think my Wednesday night league created a specific clause in their rule book to allow switching of hands? Is that allowed by USBC?

Also from switching to the opposite hand, is that not allowed per game, per night (all 3 league games that night) or not allowed in the league at all unless under special circumstances?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    I think my Wednesday night league created a specific clause in their rule book to allow switching of hands? Is that allowed by USBC?
    That I don't know, it would probably depend on just exactly what the rule says.

If I had to guess, I wouldn't think so because your supposed to have separate averages for your left or right hand.

It would be a easy way to legally sandbag your a$$ off, If you could switch whenever you wanted and only had one average.

Also from switching to the opposite hand, is that not allowed per game, per night (all 3 league games that night) or not allowed in the league at all unless under special circumstances?
    If you start the beginning of the season using say the right hand, you can't switch to the left anytime unless you have permission from the league board of directors, a league officer or the league board .

Rule 118 – Averages

118b. How Established

Each league shall adopt a rule to determine the number of games required to establish an average in
    that league. The following applies when establishing an average:
    1. A right-handed bowler must always bowl right-handed. Similarly, a left-handed bowler must always
    bowl left-handed.

Commonly Asked Questions – Rule 118b.
    118b/1 If a bowler uses his/her opposite hand to make a delivery during a game, what
    happens?
    If an individual does not have permission from the league board of directors, a league officer
    or the league board would then have the following options within the timelines as stated in
    Rule 119.
    Option 1: Declare the individual’s game forfeited: The bowler would receive zero for the game.
    NOTE: Scores bowled by the other team members not in violation stand as bowled.
    Option 2: Declare the team’s game forfeited: The team would receive zero for the game.
    NOTE: The individual in violation would receive zero. However, scores bowled by the other
    team members count toward their individual averages and league awards unless the
    league rules state otherwise

118e. Establish New Average due to Change in Delivery
    If because of injury or disability a bowler finds it necessary to change delivery from right- to left-
    handed or vice-versa, the league board of directors, by majority vote, may permit the bowler to change
    delivery. If approval is obtained, the bowler must establish a new average.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-08-2017 at 01:52 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

We had a bowler years back who bowled with both right and left hand. He had two separate averages and was listed twice on the standings sheet. Joe Blow L and Joe Blow R. He had two separate shoulder operations. One on each. Dr. said he should only use each every other week. It was approved by the local assn. and the board of directors.

I think even if you are a two hander you are still either a right or left hander. There are restrictions on holes in the ball. As long as you don't throw two handed right and one handed left. You should be legal.
    Or you could contact the USBC rules dept. and get the absolute correct answer!