Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with building my new arsenal

Default Need some help with building my new arsenal

Hello all,

I quit bowling about 3 years ago, but have recently picked it back up. I currently have two balls along with a spare ball. One I love (Hammer Scandal Pearl), one I hate (DV8 Pitbull). I'm looking to add a stepdown from the Scandal, as well as a step up (maybe not a step up, but an earlier roll) from the Scandal. I prefer pearls and hybrids, but will keep the pitbull for tournament play when the oil is thick. Here are some balls I'm considering:

Step down:
    Hammer Phobia
    Roto grip Hy-Wire
    Storm Hy-Road

Step Up:
    Hammer Gauntlet
    Storm Code Red

Any ideas? I normally play fairly straight, about 17mph with a low 300 rev rate. I'm really open to anything, just looking to fill in the gaps. Eventually I will buy a urethane as well for wood lanes / dry conditions. Any balls you guys would recommend or thoughts on the choices I'm looking at? Thanks!

Chats: 204

Wow...first post out of the gate and it's an arsenal-building question.

Normally I'd go on and on and joke about our futile attempts to come up with any real agreement on arsenals and their construction...but being that this is a new member...he/she will totally not get the joke.

JCM...to answer this question...we'd probably need to know a few more details, like:

1) How do you decide which ball to start with when you bowl?
    2) What happens (during bowling) that leads you to decide to make a ball change?
    3) When you make a ball change, do you stay on your line, move in, or move out?
    4) Do you generally play at one center? Or multiple centers? Or are you a higher-level tournament player or travel league player?

If you try the search function and enter in "arsenal progression" or maybe just "arsenal"....there are a bunch of topics related to this...that the community has recently debated. Might give you some insight...might bore you to death...hard to say.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

1.I generally have always had a benchmark ball. I'm thinking the Scandal Pearl is probably what I'll start with in most situations. In past years I threw the IQ Tour Fusion out of the gate always. If it wasn't quite enough, I balled up to a Mastermind. Once the Fusion became too much, I'd swap over to a Roto Grip Deranged. Sadly all of those balls are cracked due to sitting in my bowling bag in a closet for 2-3 years.

2. I generally play a pretty straight shot, normally from 18 out to 8 at the most. At a certain point, balls will start to go high and I adjust to the left as long as I can, making parallel moves and occasionally 2-1's up unto the point when the ball either starts to burn out or I can no longer create enough angle to carry the corner pins. That's normally when I switch.

3. Normally when I ball down, I attempt to go back to my bread and butter shot and the adjustment process starts all over again.

4. I play at multiple centers, including one with wood lanes. I haven't started back with tournament play just yet but I will at some point soon. I've only been back bowling a month or two, but I figure a 4 ball arsenal with a high-middle-low-urethane setup is probably the ticket.

I'm sure you guys get tired of people asking which balls to buy, but I'm really just looking for some ideas on balls to look into. I was really impressed with the Scandal Pearl which is why I put the Gauntlet and Phobia on my list. I understand the Gauntlet and the Pitbull are probably gonna roll pretty similarly but I honestly don't like the Pitbull very much. I bought it because I LOVED my mastermind and it seemed pretty close to it. I don't know if my release has changed, the lanes don't have enough oil, or what, but the Pitbull seems to hook and roll so early it's impossible to control. Just looking for a little bit more length before that roll phase.

Chats: 32

The Code Red is not a step up from the Scandal Pearl it's a step down. Your pretty speed dominate so stronger equipment with lower rg is generally going to be your friend and surface should be helpful. The Pitbull problem is most likely what you stated not enough oil before pitching it I would try changing the surface on it to 2k or 3k and see if that solves the problem the initial surface on the Pitbull is about the roughest on the market at 500/1000 OOB. The Gauntlet does have a higher rg and less surface so it should roll somewhat longer than the Pitbull if you decide to change balls but I would definitely try a surface change first.

The Code Red would give you a longer running ball and a Hyroad would be a light oil ball for someone with your stats. I can't comment on the Phobia I haven't seen one on the lanes the numbers look a little close to the Scandal Pearl for my tastes and with your speed the asymmetrical core in the Code Red or Black would help get the ball going a little more for you.

Don't get caught up in the urethane craze especially for wood lanes. A Hyroad, Matchup, or Rebel would work just fine for you on wood.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by JCM View Post
    2. I generally play a pretty straight shot, normally from 18 out to 8 at the most. At a certain point, balls will start to go high and I adjust to the left as long as I can, making parallel moves and occasionally 2-1's up unto the point when the ball either starts to burn out or I can no longer create enough angle to carry the corner pins. That's normally when I switch..
    Once your in the pocket make 2-1 moves not parallel. Parallel moves bring the break point in and can cause the ball to not get a chance to hook causing corner pin leaves. 2-1 moves keep the same break point just exposing the ball to more head oil.

3. Normally when I ball down, I attempt to go back to my bread and butter shot and the adjustment process starts all over again.

Don't move right switch to a longer ball and stay in the same spot or to a more aggressive ball and move left. If the oil is depleted with your stronger ball it's depleted with your less aggressive ball dry is dry.

Current arsenal

I've never really messed around with surface as I don't have a ball spinner and have an innate fear of messing up the ball. I will attempt to move it up to 2000 and see if I can get a little more control out of it. I was thinking Urethane because I could use it as my spare ball as well. Considering my speed dominance, I normally use stronger equipment and am afraid of using it for spare shots. But I hate having that plastic ball taking up space in my bag when I could have something else there. Then again without spare shooting I'd be in big trouble especially on the wood lanes.

Chats: 204

Hard to say...

You're playing a benchmark style, which I don't use. And, you're starting well outside of where I play my Scandal Pearl...which means you have low revs, extremely high speed, or both...especially on wood lanes.

I wouldn't even bother with most of those choices you mentioned...except maybe the Hy Road. I'd recommend the Radical Cyclops then ball down to the Hy Road...then use the Scandal Pearl to battle carrydown. You could get a Sure Lock if you want something stronger...but that just seems like way too much when you're playing outside of 10.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I've never really messed around with surface as I don't have a ball spinner and have an innate fear of messing up the ball. I will attempt to move it up to 2000 and see if I can get a little more control out of it. I was thinking Urethane because I could use it as my spare ball as well. Considering my speed dominance, I normally use stronger equipment and am afraid of using it for spare shots. But I hate having that plastic ball taking up space in my bag when I could have something else there. Then again without spare shooting I'd be in big trouble especially on the wood lanes.
    If your afraid of doing it your proshop can do it for mine don't charge much. It is best done originally with a ball spinner after that you can touch it up be hand rather easily to refresh the surface.

With your higher speed urethane may be better for you than me. Wood tends to cause the ball to roll more quickly. Urethane tends to roll early. Most urethane balls come with lots of surface again roll early. I really believe the entire movement for urethane balls come from watching pros on TV on short patterns. Well that guy with 18 mph speed and 500 rpm can do so why cant I? But this comes from a guy who is perfectly capable of hooking plastic across the lane so it's not spare ball material for me lol

Current arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Hard to say...

You're playing a benchmark style, which I don't use. And, you're starting well outside of where I play my Scandal Pearl...which means you have low revs, extremely high speed, or both...especially on wood lanes.

Reread the post Aslan. He stated he's playing 18 to 8. You don't play that deep. He is speed dominate though from the stats he posted.

I wouldn't even bother with most of those choices you mentioned...except maybe the Hy Road. I'd recommend the Radical Cyclops then ball down to the Hy Road...then use the Scandal Pearl to battle carrydown. You could get a Sure Lock if you want something stronger...but that just seems like way too much when you're playing outside of 10.
    Reread the post Aslan. He stated he's playing 18 to 8. You don't play that deep. He is speed dominate though from the stats he posted.

Current arsenal

On wood I have to get deeper and keep my speed firm or I can't keep it on the lanes. On synthetic I normally start 18-8 but it really depends. Some days I can throw it right up the 5 board hard and it's perfect. I can throw multiple angles with the Scandal generally, but the Pitbull seems to hook right off my hand and then roll out. I'm gonna try the surface adjustment and see what I can get out of it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast