Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Step down ball / 2 ball arsenal question

Default Step down ball / 2 ball arsenal question

Back into bowling after about 12 years and am looking to jump back into leagues in the Fall. Been lurking on here for a few weeks but looking for some advice. Not looking for a specific ball recommendation but a little help with shape selection I guess you could say.. Currently I have a Columbia 300 Tyrant (solid) which works well for me on fresh and I can actually get through 6 or 7 games with it no problem but I know when I add 5 other bowlers to the mix that may change things. I am currently looking for a step down ball for a 2 ball arsenal and if I get back in the tournament scene ill add more... My question is, should I be looking to add something with a similar shape such as the Motiv Venom Shock so I can keep a similar line or find something that will let me move away from the burned spot on the lane (right side) and play alittle deeper with something like the Roto Grip Wreck Em.

Currently my top 3 choices are DV8 Freakshow (pearl version), Motiv Venom Shock, Roto Grip Wreck Em. I have a few others I like but those are my top 3 for medium-medium/light or med-light oil balls.

Main hang up for me is I can decide if I want something with a similar shape which would be nice not to have to move much but the right side will probably get burned up and it may be better for me to move away from it and play from across the lane which I am comfortable doing since I used to play gutter to gutter with my Xxcel.
    Last edited by C J; 06-30-2017 at 01:47 PM.

Chats: 1

All i can tell you is that the Freakshow, at least the solid version is VERY strong and might not work well with your Tyrant.

I guess I should have clarified that. I meant the regular Freakshow (pearl version). I have watched a review of the Freakshow Solid and I can agree with you there, it appears to be a very strong ball.

Chats: 32

Well that Freakshow may just be as aggressive as your Tyrant so I wouldn't go with that. The Venom Shock would be a good choice if you just wanted a stepdown. I'm not a huge fan of that thinking but some have success with it this would not be my first choice especially with a 2 ball bag even though the Venom Shock is a classic. The Wrek Em would be a ok choice for playing more of an inside line but myself if I really wanted to do that I'd probably go Code Black and really play the inside game myself.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Well that Freakshow may just be as aggressive as your Tyrant so I wouldn't go with that. The Venom Shock would be a good choice if you just wanted a stepdown. I'm not a huge fan of that thinking but some have success with it this would not be my first choice especially with a 2 ball bag even though the Venom Shock is a classic. The Wrek Em would be a ok choice for playing more of an inside line but myself if I really wanted to do that I'd probably go Code Black and really play the inside game myself.
    The Freakshow is aggressive as the Tyrant? Hmm, my research has not been that great then lol..... I am talking about the "entry level" pearl Freakshow if that changes anything. Yeah, I really guess I have to make a decision based on whether I want to stay in the same area when the Tyrant gets to be too much or whether I just want to jump away from all the other players and play across the lane... I plan on building a tournament bag in the long run because I loved tournament play but for the upcoming league ill be rolling with a 2 ball bag. i'll check out the code black. I have looked at reviews on it but just made the assumption it was a little to strong to play with my Tyrant.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    The Freakshow is aggressive as the Tyrant? Hmm, my research has not been that great then lol..... I am talking about the "entry level" pearl Freakshow if that changes anything. Yeah, I really guess I have to make a decision based on whether I want to stay in the same area when the Tyrant gets to be too much or whether I just want to jump away from all the other players and play across the lane... I plan on building a tournament bag in the long run because I loved tournament play but for the upcoming league ill be rolling with a 2 ball bag. i'll check out the code black. I have looked at reviews on it but just made the assumption it was a little to strong to play with my Tyrant.
    I was referring to the solid original freakshow. That ball is just crazy strong for it's price point The cover is strong the core is early and OOB it comes with a lot of surface. I know a few guys have purchased it as a step down piece only to realize its as strong as their heavy oil balls. The pearl version is a little different story if you've got the ball speed to keep right (for right handers) the polished cover will get it farther down the lane than the Tyrant depends on how much of a step down you want the Freakshow pearl will be a similar strength and line just a little longer. The freakshow pearl doesn't move left really well as the early core in the ball doesn't match up with swinging the ball great from what I've seen of it.

The Code Black gets down the lane and springs back really well it does require oil and a defined dry spot to work well but there is usually oil in the middle even once the outside breaks down.

Really just depends on where you want to play the lanes at.

Current arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I was referring to the solid original freakshow. That ball is just crazy strong for it's price point The cover is strong the core is early and OOB it comes with a lot of surface. I know a few guys have purchased it as a step down piece only to realize its as strong as their heavy oil balls. The pearl version is a little different story if you've got the ball speed to keep right (for right handers) the polished cover will get it farther down the lane than the Tyrant depends on how much of a step down you want the Freakshow pearl will be a similar strength and line just a little longer. The freakshow pearl doesn't move left really well as the early core in the ball doesn't match up with swinging the ball great from what I've seen of it.

The Code Black gets down the lane and springs back really well it does require oil and a defined dry spot to work well but there is usually oil in the middle even once the outside breaks down.

Really just depends on where you want to play the lanes at.
    I throw roughly 16.5 Mph and in the ball park of 350revs. This is using storms charts by counting rotations and timing how long it takes to get down lane.. As much as I like what I see from the Venom Shock I think if I need to step down to it due to the right side being burned up that it may be too strong as well. So the Freakshow may be a better option if I go that route.. But you make a good point, if I wanna move and play an inside line there should be plenty of oil left in the middle to play the Code Black. Right side will be dried out enough I would think to give me something to bounce off of. I am comfortable playing across the lane like that as that as how I always played before. It actually took me some time to learn how to throw the Tyrant. First 10 games or so I was trying to play a inside line with it and it was not having it. Play it much straighter now and its a whole different monster.. So Code Black maybe just moved in the spot of the Venom Shock.
    Last edited by C J; 06-30-2017 at 07:21 PM.

My only concern is making a 15-20 board adjustment in the middle of play to account for the line change. I guess it'll just take knowing both bowling balls and their lines.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    My only concern is making a 15-20 board adjustment in the middle of play to account for the line change. I guess it'll just take knowing both bowling balls and their lines.
    That's always the trick

Current arsenal

I'm thinking about adding the Code Black to get me through league and at the beginning or the year adding the Hyroad Pearl to start my tournament bag. How does that sound? Tyrant - Code Black - and Hyroad Pearl to start off with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast