Thread: When the pin is placed...What does it do?

Chats: 10

Default When the pin is placed...What does it do?

Ok, I need help understanding what the pin placement does to the ball is easiest terms for me. lol. So if the ball is drilled for a right handed person and the pin is:

Pin between the fingers: What does it do?

Pin above ring finger: What does it do?

Pin right of ring finer: What does it do?

Pin below fingers: What does it do?

Appreciate the help!
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Okay this is the old pinup / pindown discussion, which can turn into a big discussion. Because Pinup/pindown is considered out dated thinking since the advent of the dual angle layout system. Though there is a slight come back if you look at the Radical symmetrical ball layouts which is based on pin up/ pin down.

Take a look at the Lanemasters drill sheet here, it shows how the Pinup / Pindown system is supposed to work:
    Click here for the Lanemasters drill sheet

The basic idea though is,

The higher above the fingers the longer the ball is supposed to go.

Below the fingers the earlier the ball is supposed to roll.

The farther right the pin goes, the more the ball hooks. Until it reaches the leverage point (which is 3 3/8" from the PAP) which produces max hook. When you pass the leverage point the ball starts hooking less.

A Pin between the fingers, typically voids your warranty and the bridge will crack out. You don't put a pin right between the fingers.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-16-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin up or down has nothing to do with how far the ball gets down the lane, in fact, technically pin down layouts usually raise the RG which, if anything, will make the ball go longer, not roll sooner. Pin up layouts usually result in a smaller angle to the VAL (dual angle) which makes the transition shorter (hook phase) giving a more angular reaction, while pin down drillings increase the angle to the VAL which results in a more arcing motion. While the arcing motion starts earlier, either pin position results in the hook phase ending at the same time... no difference in length. The pin up vs. pin down argument is leftover from the old days before balls had dynamic cores when "finger weight" and "thumb weight" were the only layout elements that affect ball motion, albeit very, very slightly by todays standards.

Chats: 10

I appreciate the responses. Sorry I placed this post in this section, don't know how I did that. When I said pin between fingers, I meant above the fingers but in the middle, if that makes sense. Thnaks again!
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com