Octane Carbon
The Octane Carbon, what to say about this ball. Well lets dig in. The Carbon is the newest ball with a duel density weight block offered by Motiv. What I found with the weight block in this version of the octane series is the different shape. The new weight block is substantially cleaner than its predecessors. What I allows liked about the Quadfire core in the Qz/Thrash/Octane line was they way the core read the midlane. The midlane was more pronounced with the Quadfire core. The Injector core in the Carbon does not read the midlane nearly as hard and therefore seems to scoot to the spot cleaner than all aforementioned balls. With the increased RG value and the similar Diff value this ball really shines with added motion down lane.
So how does one drill a ball like this in order to utilize the core values of this ball? I drilled this with one of my favorite late block layouts. I used 50 X 4.5 X 45, this put the pin up and in the middle of the bridge with the GC just kicked out a bit. The question begs does the ball work well. Yes it does. The Carbon shines best on the burn and late game situations. The core allows the ball to glide through the front and middle with ease, the covers response to the friction down lane is hard and continuous. The cover is not as sensitive as past releases to the friction but still allows you to open the angles up and really toss it to the spot and let the ball buck back to the pocket.
I fully expect this ball to be a mainstay in the bag for long block events and places where the surface hooks. I also plan on drilling another Carbon with my favorite pin down layout. Those with high rev rates and those who are soft on speed, who have trouble getting balls to motion later should really check this nugget out.

Clayton Mohr
Motiv Staff