Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruswick Aura Mystic vs. DV8 Grudge Hybrid

Chats: 204

Question Bruswick Aura Mystic vs. DV8 Grudge Hybrid

Wondering if anyone has thrown both these balls and can tell me the differences.

The specs seem almost identical other than the OOB surface. The Grudge Hybrid has a slightly higher differential and is a little newer...just wondering how these two behave in relation to one another.

Looking at these two for a future arsenal...had a ball crack on me that I was going to use as my ball down option (from the Aura Mystic)...so I thought the Grudge Hybrid would be a good fit. But the specs make me think these two balls would be either identical or the Grudge might be a little stronger. That would lead me to have to make some slight changes to the drilling layout...and probably manipulate the surfaces. Maybe leave the Mystic at about 2000 sanded...but a 4000 and some royal compound on the Grudge...maybe have the Aura Mystic drilled pin down and the Grudge Hybrid drilled pin-up.

The other would be the 900Global Special Ops I won at the BVL this year...but if I'm gonna go that route...then there's really not much difference between the step down ball (Special Ops) and my dry lanes ball I won here on BB.com in 2015 (Brunswick Gold Rhino Pearl). Both these options are a heck of a step down from the Aura Mystic.

If I DID go with the Mystic as my 1st ball out of the bag...and use the Grudge as a ball down option...would going with a more aggressive drilling layout and a 2000 (no buffing/no polish) surface versus a less aggressive drilling layout and a 4000 buffed (royal compound) surface on the Grudge give me enough separation?
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

I haven't owned either but I've seen a lot of Grudge Hybrids and a few Aurora Mystics rolling down the lane my first thought is the Grudge Hybrid is significantly stronger cover. I do worry about some overlap But changing the surface to 2k should make the mystic early enough to be a different motion than the Grudge Hybrid. If I were you I'd drill that Special Ops it will fill the bill as that skid/flip ball you've been wanting. I'm something of an expert on the Gold Rhino and that ball in it's OOB surface simply doesn't work well it's a wet dry nightmare almost everyone that has drilled it nearly junked it. I've had numerous conversations on here with a lot of success about this ball it needs the surface changed to 2k or 3k to work effectively. I could see a really interesting line up of Grudge Hybrid/Gold Rhino at 2 or 3k/Special Ops being a great bag.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

Aslan what remains in the closet of destiny ? NIB not craked ?
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

I threw the grudge hybrid when I was buying my Scandal Pearl. Came down to those two, but I liked the Scandal Pearl a little better. The hybrid was great though, mixed up pins like nothing I'd seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    my first thought is the Grudge Hybrid is significantly stronger cover. I do worry about some overlap
    That's what I'm afraid of. The Grudge Hybrid is DV8 and it's 3 years newer in terms of technology. That leads me to believe it's going to have a stronger reaction...which is not really what I want out of by ball down, ball #2 option.

However...I could change my strategy...go for more of a slight move 'inside'...using the "walled oil theory" where instead of balling down to stay on a burnt line...you move slightly inside with a slightly stronger ball to play where some of the oil has been pushed. But I'm just worried I'd end up having two balls that end up being exactly the same...which is pointless and puts me at a disadvantage.

But changing the surface to 2k should make the mystic early enough to be a different motion than the Grudge Hybrid.
    Not a huge fan (as you know) of messing too much with the surface...God forbid my spinner goes down. But I figure if I leave the Mystic at 2000 matte...no buffing and no polish....and surface the Grudge Hybrid to 4000, then buff it with factory compound...but no polish...that 'might' give me a little room between the two.

I can also drill the Mystic pin down...use drilling layouts to maximize how early it hooks...drill the Grudge Hybrid more of a pin-up...to give it a little more length...that might help as well.

Just not sure if it's gonna be enough...

If I were you I'd drill that Special Ops it will fill the bill as that skid/flip ball you've been wanting.
    That spot is currently being occupied by the Fortera Exile. I know the Exile hasn't got overly warm reviews...but neither did the Reax Pearl and it's been a great ball for me. So, I'm looking forward to giving the Exile a shot.

I mainly use my "skid/flip" ball to battle carrydown...so if I end up moving to more competitive leagues with less people throwing plastic/urethane all over the place...it might not be a ball that gets used very often.

I'm something of an expert on the Gold Rhino and that ball in it's OOB surface simply doesn't work well it's a wet dry nightmare almost everyone that has drilled it nearly junked it. I've had numerous conversations on here with a lot of success about this ball it needs the surface changed to 2k or 3k to work effectively.
    I've paid attention to alot of your opinions on this ball....knowing that it may someday be in my bag (if it doesn't crack first).

The 'good' news...is it really is only a replacement for my Track 300A...a ball I only throw on burnt conditions and in practice on burnt lanes...or on dry wood lanes. It certainly isn't nearly as weak as the 300A...but if it's too strong...I can always change my progression a bit...use it as a #3 option between the Grudge Hybrid and Fortera Exile. If it's crazy weak...then it's no worse than the 300A...and it rarely get's used.

I could see a really interesting line up of Grudge Hybrid/Gold Rhino at 2 or 3k/Special Ops being a great bag.
    I really wanna use the Mystic and the Exile. I just need to find a ball to bridge the gap between fresh conditions and carrydown conditions. I don't think the Gold Rhino is strong enough. The Special Ops is only a better option IF you believe a Hybrid cover by 900 Global is going to hook earlier than the Pearl cover by Brunswick AND/OR you believe the Special Ops being 1.5 years newer is going to cause it to be stronger. Both have identical RGs.

I was planning on using the Grudge Hybrid/Special Ops in the 2019 arsenal...but my 900 Global "The Nuts" cracked...which I was really interested in...so now I need to fill that gap.

Also had a Track 706A (16lbs) I was looking forward to using to replace the 300A for this fall...but it cracked...

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksox1 View Post
    Aslan what remains in the closet of destiny ? NIB not craked ?
    - 16lb Ebonite Warning Sign (Fall 2017 arsenal, replacing Ebonite Innovate)
    - 16lb DV8 Thug Life (Fall 2017 arsenal, replacing Radical Reax Pearl)

- 15lb Brunswick Aura Mystic (Fall 2018 arsenal, replacing DV8 Thug Life)
    - 15lb DV8 Grudge Hybrid (Fall 2018 arsenal, replacing Ebonite Warning Sign)
    - 15lb Brunswick Gold Rhino Pearl (Fall 2018 arsenal, replacing Track 300A)
    - 15lb Brunswick Fortera Exile (Fall 2018 arsenal, replacing Hammer Scandal Pearl)

- 15lb 900 Global Special Ops (Fall 2019 arsenal, replacing DV8 Grudge Hybrid)
    - 15lb Storm Optimus Solid (Fall 2019 arsenal, replacing Brunswick Aura Mystic)
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 32

That's what I'm afraid of. The Grudge Hybrid is DV8 and it's 3 years newer in terms of technology. That leads me to believe it's going to have a stronger reaction...which is not really what I want out of by ball down, ball #2 option.
    I have no doubt that the Grudge Hybrid is the stronger of the 2 balls it's been a while since I've seen the Aurora line in action but I don't believe being aggressive (especially the Mystic) was one of my thoughts about it.

Not a huge fan (as you know) of messing too much with the surface...God forbid my spinner goes down. But I figure if I leave the Mystic at 2000 matte...no buffing and no polish....and surface the Grudge Hybrid to 4000, then buff it with factory compound...but no polish...that 'might' give me a little room between the two.
    The bigger question is does the mystic perform well drilled and surfaced like that idk.

The 'good' news...is it really is only a replacement for my Track 300A...a ball I only throw on burnt conditions and in practice on burnt lanes...or on dry wood lanes. It certainly isn't nearly as weak as the 300A...but if it's too strong...I can always change my progression a bit...use it as a #3 option between the Grudge Hybrid and Fortera Exile. If it's crazy weak...then it's no worse than the 300A...and it rarely get's used.
    The problem is at its OOB surface the balls a wet/dry nightmare flys off the dry on one shot gets hung up in the oil on the next one.

Introducing the Exile into the discussion makes the problem worse. you've got overlap with the Mystic there on that one too. The Exile was Brunswicks attempt to do something they don't do well as in building an asymmetric skid/flip long running backend ball it didn't work as usual for them. The exile is the weakest ball in this bag it's not bad don't get me wrong. My coach actually really likes it but it's not a stand left throw right kind of ball it's a step down keep the ball in front of you kind of ball.

I really wanna use the Mystic and the Exile. I just need to find a ball to bridge the gap between fresh conditions and carrydown conditions. I don't think the Gold Rhino is strong enough. The Special Ops is only a better option IF you believe a Hybrid cover by 900 Global is going to hook earlier than the Pearl cover by Brunswick AND/OR you believe the Special Ops being 1.5 years newer is going to cause it to be stronger. Both have identical RGs.

I was planning on using the Grudge Hybrid/Special Ops in the 2019 arsenal...but my 900 Global "The Nuts" cracked...which I was really interested in...so now I need to fill that gap.

Also had a Track 706A (16lbs) I was looking forward to using to replace the 300A for this fall...but it cracked...
    Of all the balls you have the mystic and exile are probably the closest together in reaction. Personally I wouldn't put them together in the same bag. As far as just putting something together that makes sense numbers wise you could bring the Optimus solid out and it would fit unfortunately it is the worst balls storm has made in the last ten years and easily isn't worth the cost of putting holes in. Too much there that fits the same spot on lane.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I have no doubt that the Grudge Hybrid is the stronger of the 2 balls it's been a while since I've seen the Aurora line in action but I don't believe being aggressive (especially the Mystic) was one of my thoughts about it.
    It's an assymetric hybrid by Brunswick...so it should hook earlier. It also has a < 2.49 RG. Add to that a 0.052 differential and a 226.88 PerfectScale...just about every spec leads to the conclusion that this could be a very strong ball. It's also from the Aura line....which was a very successful line for Brunswick that preceeded their Mastermind series.

BUT...you're right....the DV8 brand tends to be a little stronger...and the Grudge Hybrid has a higher differential (0.056) and a PerfectScale rating of 232.00. That's a VERY high differntial...the highest PerfectScale rating of any ball I've ever owned...and it's 3 years newer in terms of technology. That's why I'm so concerned. Looking at the ball reaction videos...it looks like the Aura Mystic is 1-2 boards stronger...but I'm not sure I buy that.

The problem is...if I save the Grudge Hybrid for later...and use the Special Ops as the ball down option...that's a BIG difference. The Special Ops is 900Global...it's a 2.52 RG...and a 182.3 PerfectScale rating. That puts me in the place I'm in now...where my ball down option (going by the specs) is a LOT weaker. If I wanted to stick with the "stay in one area" strategy...I'd almost have to dummy down the Mystic...and use the Gold Rhino Pro...do more of a 4-ball progression than a 3-ball. I dunno.

The bigger question is does the mystic perform well drilled and surfaced like that idk.
    Yeah...thats the worry with a Brunswick ball...they hook early by nature...adding surface might not make it much of an option...unless I encounter some higher volume, longer, or sport conditions.

The problem is at its (Gold Vintage Rhino Pro) OOB surface the balls a wet/dry nightmare flys off the dry on one shot gets hung up in the oil on the next one.
    I'm not too worried about that. The Melee Jab had the same problem and it's probably my favorite ball I've ever used...probably second favorite if you consider the Scandal Pearl I'm using now. So, it might not be a "bad" thing for me. On the other hand, the Innovate also has that tendency...and I'm not doing as well with that ball as I'd like.

Introducing the Exile into the discussion makes the problem worse. you've got overlap with the Mystic there on that one too.
    The Fortera Exile has a lower differential (0.050), a higher RG (2.512), and it's a polished pearl. If the Aura Mystc is hybrid with a 0.052 differential and a 2.481 RG...and I surface it to 2000 matte...I'm not too concerned these balls will overlap. More concerned the Grudge Hybrid and Aura Mystic will overlap...OR...if I dummy down the surface and drilling on the Grudge Hybrid (pin up, 4000 buffed)...that the Grudge Hybrid might be too close to the Exile...although I think the 4000 buffed won't "skid/flip" (angular) the way the Exile's 500/buffed/polished surface will.

The Exile was Brunswicks attempt to do something they don't do well as in building an asymmetric skid/flip long running backend ball it didn't work as usual for them. The exile is the weakest ball in this bag it's not bad don't get me wrong. My coach actually really likes it but it's not a stand left throw right kind of ball it's a step down keep the ball in front of you kind of ball.
    Like I said above...it's specs are quite strong. And, it's role will be limited to replacing the Scandal Pearl. The Exile has a slightly higher RG...which I think is the problem with it. It seems like the good skid/flip balls tend to have really low RGs, and really high differentials. But's it's a 500 surface with a polished pearl cover and an assymetric core with a higher differential than the Scandal Pearl...so it has promise (on paper).

Like I said before...the Reax Pearl had a very bad reputation...even worse than the Brunswick Fortera line...and it works great for me. And the Rotogrip Defiant Edge...the Defiant series was one of Rotogrip's most successful lines...the one that preceded their Hyper Cell line...and it performed so badly for me...that I had to spend $275 to buy and drill the Scandal Pearl after only using the Defiant Edge for a few months. Ball popularity just tends to be a "poo"shoot at the end of the day. RobM and I disagree on balls like the Reax and the Exile...RobM hated the Melee Jab and gave it to me and I loved it...RobM didn't like the Deadly Aim but Iceman loves it...yet RobM and I agree regarding Rotogrip...that we just can't seem to make them work for us.

Of all the balls you have the mystic and exile are probably the closest together in reaction. Personally I wouldn't put them together in the same bag.
    Like I said...if I make the surface adjustments...I think there will be some decent separation. With OOB surfaces...maybe not as much.

As far as just putting something together that makes sense numbers wise you could bring the Optimus solid out and it would fit unfortunately it is the worst balls storm has made in the last ten years and easily isn't worth the cost of putting holes in. Too much there that fits the same spot on lane.
    The Optimus Solid just seems like a weaker version of the Aura Mystic. I was hoping to use it in the next arsenal....Optimus Solid, Grudge Hybrid, ???, ???. BUT...if I use the Grudge Hybrid with this coming arsenal...the Special Ops is probably a better fit to compliment the Optimus Solid. A Optimus Solid/Special Ops #1/#2 ball would definitely be a weaker pair than Aura Mystic/Grudge Hybrid....but I'm hoping by then my release improves and gets stronger.
    Last edited by Aslan; 06-21-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Why do you insist on looking at the "Perfect Scale" ratings? They are as imperfect as anything can be!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Why do you insist on looking at the "Perfect Scale" ratings? They are as imperfect as anything can be!
    It's just one factor. Are there any "perfect bowling ball specifications/ratings"? Some specs argueably don't even mean anything...a half step above fragarance and/or color...

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    It's just one factor. Are there any "perfect bowling ball specifications/ratings"? Some specs argueably don't even mean anything...a half step above fragarance and/or color...
    The only ball "specifications" that would ultimately really mean anything, are the ones that are actual measurements of the balls physical properties. Such as RG, Differential, Intermediate Differential, Coefficient of Friction, Coefficient of Restriction etc.

Ratings provided by companies and even the bowling magazines, like Hook, Backend, Length, the Perfect Scale are ultimately nothing but opinions based on tenuous criteria that varies from company to company and the Tester/Raters opinion which can be subjective and not consistent.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast