Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forearm hurts after changing arm angle & firsttime use of wrist brace

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Default Forearm hurts after changing arm angle & firsttime use of wrist brace

I started my first weekly league in 13 years. Im not used to the freshly oiled lanes heavy in the middle and my hook was all over . I took a lesson from the proshop guy and had me rotate my hand in from the start so my thumb is pointing to the right...im a lefty. I keep this position thru the swing and release going straight down between the 1st and 2nd arrow. Staying to the outside is better now at my alley. This reduce my hook and eliminate my varying acciqdtental releases and inconsistency . I am bowling better but my forearm hurts. He gave me a wrist support last week but maybe i have it too loose. I need more slide to keep such a tight shot. Im used to theowing it out to the left across the middle but i dont string strikes. Is rhis a bad arm angle. Am i doing damage?
    Im 38 and bowled weekly from 4 to 25. Then just monthly since. I avg 185 but 2 weeks ago i bowled 243 then 160.

Chats: 32

What your describing sounds like a suitcase style of release. I've never really heard of any complaints and don't see as where this would create any additional arm torque. Generally their should be less with that style. The problem probably resides somewhere else in the swing in my opinion but it would be impossible to tell without seeing a video. I would suggest going back to the pso and tell him what problem your having.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Cranker

Maybe you should consider going down in weight. I assume you are throwing a 16lb ball and you may benefit from going down to 15 or maybe even 14lbs.

Bowler

I am throwing 15. Not a full suitcase throw. Maybe im pushing the ball out with the side of my wrist on release or on the back swing since my arm is a bit tight im over stretching . Sometimes i drop the ball early but still strike. Id like to convert this into a throw Danielle Mcewan has. Though she is a girl ,Its simple and easier to repeat. Ill try and get a video up. And ill go get another lesson. Id hate to mess around now. My team is in first my avg has gone from 160 to 184 in 12 games

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

As much as you would hate to mess around with this, would really hate to find out that you did some damage that is going to cause you to not bowl for a while. I believe you have the right idea that you should go get another lesson and express this concern. As Aymers said, I would recommend putting a video up and in the caption specifically call out that you are not looking for improvement, but just want some extra sets of eyes to see if there is something obvious that could be causing this issue. Think of this more of a reality check to make sure that the PSO isn't giving you some off-base advice; if that is the case and you notice it on this board that would be your sign to look for someone else to get lessons from.

With your comment about arm soreness and inconsistency you may just have a bad fit, this would be one of the first things I would have checked.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

If you just came back to the game after a 13 year layoff and your playing between the 1st and 2nd arrow, that's a pretty dry area and your probably trying to put some speed on the ball. So your probably muscling the ball down the lane some and your arm is not use too it.

Because your arm is probably out of "bowling shape" some sort of speak, Your using muscles you haven't used in awhile.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowler

Default first time using a wrist brace..hurts after

i just started using a leather robbie's original. i made sure it was real tight and afterwards my hand and wrist are hurting. I thought having a bit loose was no good either.
    do i have to get used to it? I'm sure I'm pressing into it unintentionally

Note: Threads merged because they are basically the same (determining cause of forearm pain) and the information in one can affect the other. being separate threads could possibly have produced conflicting advice do to not knowing info in the other
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-22-2017 at 09:58 AM.

I would contact the manufacturer and ask them. They should have an on-line way to ask them. Email them and see what they say

Chats: 1

Why are you wearing a brace? Did your wrist hurt prior to wearing a brace? It could be that you're trying to muscle your release once you put the brace on.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Albundy View Post
    i just started using a leather robbie's original. i made sure it was real tight and afterwards my hand and wrist are hurting. I thought having a bit loose was no good either.
    do i have to get used to it? I'm sure I'm pressing into it unintentionally

Note: Threads merged because they are basically the same (determining cause of forearm pain) and the information in one can affect the other. being separate threads could possibly have produced conflicting advice do to not knowing info in the other

The Robbies original is the "basic" firm wrist support

If it still has the curved metal palm piece remove it, nobody really uses that.

When using it, it should be on securely, but not loose and not so tight its cutting off your circulation or digging into your skin.

A sweat sock worn underneath is helpful. It keeps you from getting all sweaty underneath the brace and also cushions it against the skin.

Last edited by bowl1820; 06-22-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast