Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tracking the thumb still

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    I have since corrected that and use my normal suitcase style release with all 3 balls.
    suitcase style release! Then your most likely rolling close to a full roller (A full roller typically tracks between the finger and thumb holes, though some don't). So you probably track very close to the thumb hole to begin with.

Try getting your hand a little more behind the ball see what happens. Might try making sure you rotate your fingers in a counter-clockwise a little more when releasing.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-26-2017 at 02:16 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 1

I take that back, after double checking what the suitcase style release was, as i'm releasing the ball my hand is at about 4:30 if looking from directly behind me. I keep my wrist cupped, and lift straight up when I follow through.

Chats: 2

So, sounds like you're still off the side a bit on release, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have a bit of an axis tilt myself. But, you're PSO should adjust accordingly. Being a 2-hander (I know, some of you hate us lol), when my in-house PSO would drill stuff for me years ago (before the rule change about balance holes), he would drill a traditional thumb hole, and I would roll over it almost every time. Since, I have taken to a couple different PSO's outside of my house, and the first move made was actually offsetting the "thumb" hole. After the rule change, it actually became easier to lay a ball out. Big thing is, double check your PAP, and run some slow-mo video and figure out your axis tilt. A good PSO can go off of this and drill accordingly.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Been there done that.

It's a combo of your release and layout. It will be even more evident on balls or layouts with low flare.
    Current arsenal:
    Motiv Trident Motiv Jackal Ghost RG No Rules RG DareDevil
    C300 Impulse Hammer Black Urethane

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12