Thread: Converting my hook to a more repeatable straighter outside shot

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Default Converting my hook to a more repeatable straighter outside shot

This shot isnt working well on my weekly league. All the good bowlers stay to the outside. This is my first weekly league since 2004. Id like to go straight and in or a parker bohn shot covering less boards. Do i look slow on my release? Should i get a 14lb hi rpg ball. My release varies alot..my wrist must move a bit. I can flatten my wrist but the ball hooks early and doesnt slide.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cE_dViAhwN4

Last edited by bowl1820; 06-26-2017 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added video tags

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Darn to me you look like your rolling a pretty good ball. Your not slow on the approach, if anything you might be rushing a little bit.

The main problems I see is balance, you need to post your shot better on some shots. Like at about the 1:15 mark your pretty solid, but fell off the shot some at the 4:05 mark.

Plus a few shots it looked liked you were forcing the ball down the lane, the arm didnt look as free swing as it was in some other shots.

Also when you say "All the good bowlers stay to the outside" you mean all the righties? The left side can play different.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-26-2017 at 03:52 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

The form and the release look pretty good to me. What are you throwing? Is this a fresh pattern/where you play for league also?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The form and the release look pretty good to me. What are you throwing? Is this a fresh pattern/where you play for league also?
    I throw a Columbia Take Down 15lbs..all i have...and an old Skull ball for the dreaded 7 pin.
    That's where my league is...on the league it is freshly oiled .....very heavy in the middle it seems..i was averaging 160 the first 2 weeks throwing like this. I couldn't string strikes together.
    The guy at the pro shop took a look at my shot and said..no..you're going to have trouble with that...and he had me throwing it straight up the 7 board with my hand turned so that i didn't have to turn my wrist.
    i threw a 246 and a 222.. but...my arm hurt after that and i felt like i lost my back end.
    i keep my wrist cupped the whole swing..i could try and keep it straight and move over to the left a bit.

yes balance is still a struggle as my core and right leg is still not very strong...had hip surgery last year. thought maybe throwing it straight out i could stay up straight and perpendicular with the foul line..but if you think i should keep this shot maybe i just need to learn to control it.

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    i don't when it was oiled that day.....i can't look at the lane and tell...except the time i saw a footprint on the lane

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Albundy View Post
    I throw a Columbia Take Down 15lbs..all i have...and an old Skull ball for the dreaded 7 pin.
    That's where my league is...on the league it is freshly oiled .....very heavy in the middle it seems..i was averaging 160 the first 2 weeks throwing like this. I couldn't string strikes together.
    The guy at the pro shop took a look at my shot and said..no..you're going to have trouble with that...and he had me throwing it straight up the 7 board with my hand turned so that i didn't have to turn my wrist.
    i threw a 246 and a 222.. but...my arm hurt after that and i felt like i lost my back end.
    i keep my wrist cupped the whole swing..i could try and keep it straight and move over to the left a bit.

yes balance is still a struggle as my core and right leg is still not very strong...had hip surgery last year. thought maybe throwing it straight out i could stay up straight and perpendicular with the foul line..but if you think i should keep this shot maybe i just need to learn to control it.
    Well I tend to bowl with more of a cupped wrist also. It causes the ball to hook earlier than it would have otherwise and it's difficult to change. A few options that you might try.

1. Move your break point in (move your target right 1 board and shift your feet left 1 board) this straightens your line keeping the ball in the longer heavier portion of the oil longer. I believe you could easily move 2-2 in this manner maybe more . You may need to make 2-1 adjustments right after doing this.

2. You don't necessarily change to a suitcase release to reduce the cup on your wrist especially if it's causing discomfort. Practice with your current release but relax the wrist a little and try to stay more behind the ball.

I see a lot of similarity between your bowling style and my own. We have an advantage on longer heavier patterns and a disadvantage on shorter drier or more worn lane conditions. I think trying tightening your line as I described above may be the easiest and most beneficial way to combat your problem. Looked like your break point was pretty far left in your video but that's not abnormal for a lefty the nice thing about it is if you can do it you wont see many people on your line as most lefties don't learn to do that.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

I agree with Bowl1820 and Amyers.

There's a lot of GOOD in what I'm seeing. In the shots you posted, your head movement was minimal...your drift was minimal....and you're getting a good deal of hand in the ball, nice hook, and a good angle into the pocket. I don't see any major footwork issues.

The only issue I see is the hand position on the release. It seems like your hand is coming 'around' the ball versus 'through' the ball. It's hard to tell for sure, because of the distance of the camera from the hand.

I think the release and axis tilt are the key...whether you stay with your current release or change it...because if you're coming around the side of the ball and putting a lot of axis tilt and axis rotation on that ball...it's going to be very hard, if not impossible on a THS, to straighten out that shot. It's like a thumbless bowler or 2-hander...they can ball down and try to play straighter lines...but their lines are always going to be deeper and more inside because the RPMs are so high AND the axis tilt and rotation are so extreme.

Try to get a shot of where your hand is on the ball just as the ball gets to the bottom of the swing and you're about to release or are releasing it. Then try to compare that to what Parker is doing. I think there are some slow-motion videos of Parker out there. I think you'll find that Parker's hand position starts out behind the ball and quickly snaps through/around...where as your hand starts out to the side of the ball and moves around the outside. Also pay attention to when Parker's thumb exits the ball and when your thumb exits the ball. Hard to see from the video...but I'd be willing to bet Parker's thumb exits earlier in his swing...and your's later in the swing.

And remember...don't get too frustrated. Parker has a TON of foot speed where as you are almost 'planting'. That allows Parker to have a much smoother swing and release and the ball doesn't hook as much and hits with tremendous power. Parker Bohn is the best left-handed bowler currently alive...probably #2 or#3 ever. Your average and scoring will likely go down before it goes back up. And a COACH is ALWAYS a plus (regardless of what Iceman thinks). Coaches can quickly see where your problems are, quickly help you fix those problems, and then help you decide how you want to make changes. You might find, by working with a coach, that your current release is much better than you think...it just needs a tweak here or there. 1-2 years with a coach could equal 7-8 years of you trying to do it on your own.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Bowler

Thanks!
    I went back to a different alley to the guy i took lessons with last year.
    I threw that shot and it went into the left gutter! Very oily!
    So while i do like that release and big hook he said you don't have to turn your wrist to play the outside.
    Just hold it a bit to the side and just keep that position and drive straight through.
    It works..and I'm getting a new ball. a Dare Devil Trick by Rotogrip and he'll drill it so it has length. it was either that or a storm torrent
    What I was doing wrong was moving my head and throwing it with my shoulder foward a bit. I don't know how to fix that. ..perhaps some core strengthening.
    If I throw the same shot with a flat wrist instead it'll probably hook too much. I'll keep that shot for going across alley at spares.
    I'll get a video of this new shot to compare to.

Bowler

This is where i changed my arm angle so i'm not turning my wrist to hook it..just going straight through...except for skull ball spares... I bought a new ball and had it drilled to give it length...nice back end to it but it always go high...added speed to 1 shot and it went in...was hard to find a strike shot the first 3 games...this video has views from the side too...was looking to see any differences and how many times my upper body moved....most of these shots weren't strikes..

https://youtu.be/qHrtXGRMNWI
    Last edited by Albundy; 07-02-2017 at 04:19 PM.