Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plugged Balls

Chats: 1

Default Plugged Balls

Am I the only one that having to plug a ball even if it's done for free is irritating? I dont like throwing plugged equipment at all let alone new stuff that has had to be plugged.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    Am I the only one that having to plug a ball even if it's done for free is irritating? I dont like throwing plugged equipment at all let alone new stuff that has had to be plugged.
    It use to bother me years ago, it was like getting a dent in a new car and having to have it fixed. You just don't look at it the same way after that.

Now if I have it do to make it work or fit better than it did before, I don't care.

If it's to fix something that shouldn't have been broke in the first place, that's a little irritating but I live with it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Has there been any proven evidence that plugging a ball and having it redrilled will decrease the ball's performance in any way?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    Has there been any proven evidence that plugging a ball and having it redrilled will decrease the ball's performance in any way?
    Yes. In an article in BTM, the author supplied evidence that plugging does not change a balls performance at all, as long as the original holes did not penetrate the core.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    as long as the original holes did not penetrate the core.
    You might need to go back and reread the article, I have it right here and it doesn't say that.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    Yes. In an article in BTM, the author supplied evidence that plugging does not change a balls performance at all,
    For those interested the BTM article is called "The Effect of Plugging and Redrilling on Bowling Ball Mass Properties" by Bill Sempsrott

Bill Sempsrott:
    While I certainly didn’t do a 100% exhaustive study in this article, I attempted to at least cover a fairly wide spectrum of scenarios. In the real world, ball cores come in a wide variety of shapes, bowler gripping holes come in a wide variety of sizes, and countless layout and balance hole combinations exist.

It is likely possible that someone could dream up some crazy scenario in which the impact of plugging and redrilling is much more significant than in these examples.

That said, the results presented above do point in one clear direction: in most cases, bowlers and pro shop operators really shouldn’t be too concerned with how they may be affecting the mass properties of their bowling balls when they plug and redrill them.

Here's the most extreme example he had (15 plugs):

In this example the changes in values were fairly minor and only resulted in a 1 inch difference in hook compared to the ball with just 3 holes.

The biggest concern a lot have is if the plugs wind up in their track, do to the different material used for the plug affecting the the ball. But even that isn't considered a major concern to worry about.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-29-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

You're right, however logic says that a hole drilled into the core will change the numbers to some degree, however minor. Personally, I'm a great fan of logic.

Chats: 32

You're right, however logic says that a hole drilled into the core will change the numbers to some degree, however minor. Personally, I'm a great fan of logic.
    I'm using 2 plugged balls right now. I didn't own either before so I can't say how much it effected performance. Both balls still do their job but I'd prefer not to have the plugs. I think it's more important in larger cored balls and balls with asymmetric cores. If you plug a Rhino I doubt it makes any difference at all not much core to drill into. You plug a Strom Fight you can guarantee your drilling into the core. I don't believe holes drilled into the core and filled can be exactly the same after filling. If they are then we really need to quit paying attention to core design.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Yes, which that was not in question.

Every example he showed had holes going into the core and which changed the numbers to some degree, however minor and that those changes had a negligible impact on ball motion to a point where it was meaningless.

that plugging does not change a balls performance at all, as long as the original holes did not penetrate the core.
    But here your just inferring this from the article, While I don't disagree with it.

It can give wrong impression to someone who hasn't read the article.

Example:

Reader:
    "Wow I was just going to get my ball plugged for whatever reason, but I just read that plugging does not change a balls performance at all, But only as long as the original holes did not penetrate the core.

I just looked all 3 of my holes went right into the core! That means if I get it plugged it will change the the performance!! I don't want that!!"

Something worded more like this would have been better IMO.

"Yes. In an article in BTM, the author supplied evidence that plugging does not change a balls performance at all, even if the holes penetrated the core."

I can also see someone reading that and going to the proshop to get a ball drilled, going in and telling the PSO to make sure not to drill into the core because they might want to get it plugged later.

While not drilling into the core is not impossible, it's highly unlikely in most cases.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 06-29-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I'm using 2 plugged balls right now. I didn't own either before so I can't say how much it effected performance. Both balls still do their job but I'd prefer not to have the plugs. I think it's more important in larger cored balls and balls with asymmetric cores. If you plug a Rhino I doubt it makes any difference at all not much core to drill into. You plug a Strom Fight you can guarantee your drilling into the core. I don't believe holes drilled into the core and filled can be exactly the same after filling. If they are then we really need to quit paying attention to core design.
    I'm just frustrated, a bowling ball can cost well over $200 and for someone who is supposed to know what they're doing, to not even check my track, pap, or axis tilt before drilling a new ball, especially when I told him the other ball I was replacing with this new one was rolling over the thumb is just irritating. But he said to trust him, and foolishly I did. I know that part is on me. I know it's not feasible for them to replace a ball entirely when they screw up, but that would be the ultimate customer service.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    I'm just frustrated, a bowling ball can cost well over $200 and for someone who is supposed to know what they're doing, to not even check my track, pap, or axis tilt before drilling a new ball, especially when I told him the other ball I was replacing with this new one was rolling over the thumb is just irritating. But he said to trust him, and foolishly I did. I know that part is on me. I know it's not feasible for them to replace a ball entirely when they screw up, but that would be the ultimate customer service.
    Well he may fix it like that but I can tell you it would be the last ball he drilled for me.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast