Thread: Another Question about PAP - I know, I know....

Chats: 55

Default Another Question about PAP - I know, I know....

I know I could probably research this and find my answer, but you all know it's just easier to ask the specific question you want to know.

I've seen numerous articles, videos, and such about how to find your PAP but never took the time to really do this or understand. Guess I should have.

Just started with a new PSO today and he marked my PAP with a white sticky dot. There was so much going on that I forgot to ask what the PAP actually is.

Can someone tell me where to measure, using the dot he placed on the ball, to determine my PAP?
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Can someone tell me where to measure, using the dot he placed on the ball, to determine my PAP?
    Here this chart shows all you need to know (You need at least a Prosect/quarter scale to do this easily)

1-Draw the centerline as indicated
    2-Find the middle of the grip, which is located between the finger and thumb holes.
    3-Then draw the midline from the center of the grip and which is perpendicular (90°)to the centerline
    4-Then draw the vertical line (aka the VAL) which is perpendicular (90°)to the midline from the PAP marker to the midline
    5- Then just measure the indicated places

You can see the process being done here at about the 2:20 mark:
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-01-2017 at 12:04 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Ok. So I think I understand and with my measurements I came up with a midline of 4-1/4 and the vertical of 2-1/4 up. I know the PSO said it was kinda weird, so I'm thinking I have it correct. I'm trying to attach a picture of where it was marked. I figured out an attachment of the picture.

https://gayladeckley.smugmug.com/Bow...alls/i-bLzWrcW
    Last edited by classygranny; 07-01-2017 at 10:50 PM.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!

What ball did you use to find your PAP? The ball in the picture looks like it's very aggressive with an asymmetrical core. The problem with using a ball like this to find your PAP is that your axis begins to migrate before the ball even hits the lane. The PAP you indicate says that you track the ball very low, almost a spinner. Try the process of finding the PAP again using a plastic spare ball with a simple pancake core. This will give you a much more accurate assessment of your true PAP.

Actually, he used my plastic spare ball as well as the Paradox. They both looked to be very close as we discussed the unusual placement, but he removed the sticker on the plastic ball and I didn't get a chance to measure it.