Thread: Oklahoma open

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Default Oklahoma open

Why move the finals out of the center where they qualified?
    Why put fans on the side of the lanes they distract the bowlers and they have a shiddy view?

Why, indeed? It seems like moving the finals elsewhere is a common complaint among fans (I wonder how the pros feel?) Sometimes for TV, not only are the finals in a different venue, they're on a different week!

Chats: 55

I think I remember reading that the Sonoma County (No Calif) PWBA finals were held in Oklahoma City...that's drastic in my opinion, as it is different weather, traveling, etc.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

The sad fact of the matter is that televising finals in bowling is a very expensive proposition, and it's a whole lot cheaper to set up the show in a location where there are just two temporary lanes and some grandstands. It's also a lot cheaper to shoot multiple finals using one set up. Unfortunately, if it wasn't done this way, we probably would see any bowling on TV at all.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

This isn't particularly new. In 1998 I took my dad to see the finals of a PBA tournament here in Connecticut. The qualifying rounds were bowled in Milford at a 60 lane center. The finals were in the fieldhouse at Sacred Heart Univercity.
    John

Pin Crusher

Your right John it has been done many times before. It just isn't fair to the bowlers who did the best in qualifying.

Rob my point about putting the fans behind the bowlers in bleachers is that they can alter the results. Just by moving when one bowlers is up and sitting still for the other.

They could have put the fans behind the bowlers there weren't that many of them.

Hopefully professionals can concentrate enough to tune out their surroundings. I think Barnes was done before anyone moved. Part of the problem is that they can't decide weather they want the fans to be like golf fans (shhh, quiet!) or like wrestling fans (just listen to the ridiculous introductions).

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Personally it seems wierd to bowl when it's quiet. Bowling second shift leagues, (8:00pm and later starting times), I have often bowled my last frame of the night with only my teammates and the opposing team watching and no one else up on any other approach. Doesn't bother me any more but it still feels odd.
    John

I saw one PBA event where the qualifying and match play were upstairs, but the finals were in the basement. All the players said the lanes were way different. I believe Parker Bohn won that one.