Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pattern Info

Default Oil Pattern Info

Found a new home Alley and they host tournaments there frequently and have 4-5 patterns they usually use. Aside from the PBA Patterns and Patterns listed on Kegel's website where do I find info on Oil patterns like Cherokee, The Ditch, Shame, and Bejiing?? I have googled searched and can't find anything... Their house/League shot is a 41ft Cherokee (never heard of it until today) and it seems like a fairly easy shot from what I have seen bowling on it today but having trouble locating a chart for it.

Excited about my opportunity to grow as a bowler here. The owner and PSO are very nice and helpful and offered to put down any lane pattern I would like to practice on. Time to do some arsenal building haha.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Beijing I've played on, it's a short pattern and using the rule of 31, the breakpoint is around 5 which I found to be pretty accurate. Never heard of the other ones.

The bowling alley themselves should have a sheet on the the pattern they are putting down, particularly if it is there house/league shot. Consult your alley desk attendant or bowling alley proprietor. The three bowling alleys that I bowl post a copy of their house shot either at the front desk or on the wall nearby.

Ok thank you. Hopefully they have a chart for all of the ones they use in their tournaments and such.. I just figured there would be a website online with them all listed, but I checked Kegels website and none of these are on there... I guess if I found out the type of machine they used that would help... But I'll definitely check out the front desk for their regularly used patterns... PBA Patterns are easy to locate online. Once I get my arsenal built, I figured practicing on those harder patterns will definitely make me a better bowler.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Aside from the PBA Patterns and Patterns listed on Kegel's website where do I find info on Oil patterns like Cherokee, The Ditch, Shame, and Bejiing?? I have googled searched and can't find anything...

Cherokee, The Ditch and Shame I don't recognize , They maybe custom patterns. Example on my sport league here they have a pattern called Kaioken which is a custom pattern so no online info (as of yet anyway).

As for "Beijing", see the WTBA patterns

Some resources to get you started

World Bowling (WTBA patterns)
    http://www.worldbowling.org/about/rules/lane-patterns/

Kegel Pattern Library:
    http://patternlibrary.kegel.net/PatternLibrary.aspx

PBA Oil Patterns (AKA Lane Conditions)
    https://www.pba.com/OilPatterns

Slowinski Signature Series Challenging Patterns
    http://bowlingknowledge.info/index.p...d=27&Itemid=66

Shaun's Bowling Tournaments Oil patterns
    http://www.shaunstournaments.com/oil...rn-graphs.html

Midwest Oil Pattern Library
    https://www.midwestbowling.com/oil-patterns

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by skfboiler View Post
    The bowling alley themselves should have a sheet on the the pattern they are putting down, particularly if it is there house/league shot. Consult your alley desk attendant or bowling alley proprietor.
    While that is the way it should be, It's the exception rather than the rule. Most houses won't tell you what their house pattern (THS) is anymore (let alone post a pattern sheet for you to see), They don't want to hear people complaining about it, anymore than they already do.

Also most of the hired help, don't have a clue what it is anyway and the ones that do most likely won't tell you unless you are tight with them.

The three bowling alleys that I bowl post a copy of their house shot either at the front desk or on the wall nearby.
    Your lucky then, you live around a exception.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thank you Bowl1820.. I was thinking it may be a custom pattern. I saw all these patterns listed for the frequent tournaments bowled there, they range from 35ft-48ft. I am sure I can get some more info on them as the PSO and owner are very nice and helpful. I will ask next time I go up there and will likely get to throw on many different ones at the upcoming Demo Day.. I have never bowled on really short or really long patterns so once I get my arsenal built I am sure I will get a reality check... Gonna get him to put out PBA Wolf and PBA Badger for me to get smacked around on lol. I can't think of any other way to improve my game then to bowl on something I'm likely gonna shoot a 90 on lol.

All the many centers around here treat the THS pattern like it's the countries nuclear launch codes. Just asking about it will get you a heavy dose of attitude and anger.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by ep1977 View Post
    All the many centers around here treat the THS pattern like it's the countries nuclear launch codes. Just asking about it will get you a heavy dose of attitude and anger.
    Yeah. Like Bowl1820 said...most of the bowling alley staff have no idea what the pattern actually is. The lady selling nachos might not even know oil is on the lanes.

And, asking the people that DO know...they usually get annoyed because you're one of those bowlers that "takes things too seriously".

I bowled in a tournament about 6 months ago...at a house I bowled in regularly...and I could tell they had done something different. I asked the manager and he said, "No, it's the same pattern."

I then asked the maintenance guy, and he kinda smirked and moved around...his english wasn't so good...but after pressing him a little he finally admitted that he put on about 2x to 3x more volume than he does for league...because it was a 5-game tournament and they usually put more volume down for tournaments > 3 games.

Sure takes a LOT of effort to get a straight answer.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Sure takes a LOT of effort to get a straight answer.
    This is one reason why I moved houses. Granted the old place was more of a family fun center but they still have leagues and such there and only oil about 3 times a week (maybe) during the summer. If I don't get a text response from the manager telling me he oiled the lanes I most of the time won't know until I roll a ball down the lane... Ask the people at the front desk and there like uhhhh, idk... I'm like, "well... Did you see this big machine going down each of the lanes"??? I finally just said forget it and made the extra 4 mile or so drive to the other place.

At this place, a guy walks by while I was standing by the pro shop and asked if I needed help.. I asked if he worked in the pro shop.. He says, "well... I'm the owner so yeah I guess so" lol. He talked to me for about 15 minutes talking about various tournaments they have and told me they oil the lanes everyday which is a relief. Had about a 20 minute conversation with the PSO as well whom also oils their lanes. Everybody was very nice, sounds like I should be thankful to have found a place with nice, helpful people.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast