Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video showing the difference of just one board on entry angle

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default Video showing the difference of just one board on entry angle

This is an excellent shot from the USBC Facebook showing a one board difference while the ball is entering the pocket. So if anyone complains that there were robbed, you can tell them they were 1 board off.

https://www.facebook.com/usbc/videos/10155281926795336/

Unfortunately, the video only tells one part of the story. The other part has to do with retention of energy in the bowling ball. If the ball loses energy early, it can enter the pocket at a perfect angle and still leave a flat ten. Personally, I think that this is a much larger contributing factor in corner pin leaves as we've all seen balls strike that were no where near the 17 1/2 board.

Pin Crusher

Probably a great video but not worth joining "facebook.com" to see it.

I saw it. It's interesting and quick. One shows a solid strike. The other wraps a 10 pin. Kinda cool

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Probably a great video but not worth joining "facebook.com" to see it.
    You don't have to join facebook to see the video. Just click on the link, on the facebook page theres a pop up just click "Not Now" then hit the play button.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Unfortunately, the video only tells one part of the story. The other part has to do with retention of energy in the bowling ball. If the ball loses energy early, it can enter the pocket at a perfect angle and still leave a flat ten. Personally, I think that this is a much larger contributing factor in corner pin leaves as we've all seen balls strike that were no where near the 17 1/2 board.
    To study things scientifically we have to isolate one variable at a time. I think USBC did a study that showed that if the position of the ball as it hits the pins is the only variable the 17 1/2 board was the optimal place to hit. Other studies have shown the optimal angle and phase of ball motion to hit at. The more factors you can optimize, the better your chances for a strike.

I think that the USBC study on ball position came up with a 97% chance of striking at 17 1/2. I'm not sure what ball weight and speed they were using. When we see a ball that looks like it was at 17.5 with the perfect angle that doesn't strike, if we had instant replay we would find that it really wasn't at 17.5. I doubt if very many people can really exactly tell where a moving object is from 60 feet away.
    John

Cranker

Funny the left video of the strike looked like it went in high on the head pin...
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    To study things scientifically we have to isolate one variable at a time. I think USBC did a study that showed that if the position of the ball as it hits the pins is the only variable the 17 1/2 board was the optimal place to hit. Other studies have shown the optimal angle and phase of ball motion to hit at. The more factors you can optimize, the better your chances for a strike.

I think that the USBC study on ball position came up with a 97% chance of striking at 17 1/2. I'm not sure what ball weight and speed they were using. When we see a ball that looks like it was at 17.5 with the perfect angle that doesn't strike, if we had instant replay we would find that it really wasn't at 17.5. I doubt if very many people can really exactly tell where a moving object is from 60 feet away.
    I think you're referring to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3X7qebrLME

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    Funny the left video of the strike looked like it went in high on the head pin...
    One thing I've taken away from these videos is that 17.5 looks like a high hit, but this is where the data says the sweet spot is. But if you look at the graph on the youtube video, the pocket really runs from 18.5-15, so there's not a lot of room to miss high. It's all or disaster.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post

This is the Pin Carry Study Presentation, which gives you the basic findings:
    https://bowl.com/uploadedFiles/Equip...ryStudy(1).pdf

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast