Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about wrist braces

I'll recommend the Mongoose Lifter or Optimum if you think you need wrist support. Both of these will get you to a point where you'll be noticeably using your fingers more than you've done before. So just for that you'll begin to feel a change in your release. Mongoose offers some additional devices to make you cup your grip, but I've never used them as it's possible to cup your grip with either support. Both are tools you can use as teaching tools; however, a good coach is probably the best advice anyone could give you. Having someone point out what you're doing using video tools is invaluable. Best of luck!

This is a great post! Use your fingers more... right in 1985, wrong now. Cup your grip... right in 1985, wrong now. A good coach is probably the best advice anyone could give you... PRICELESS!

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

I use the Robby II and have since I got back to bowling 6 years ago after a 25 year layoff. I have tried to roll without it and can. I just feel more comfortable with it and the adjustments allow for variations in ball reaction.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    While it might not be a bad habit in regard to the "Modern release", I believe the problem comes from the fact that a lot can't do the "reload" part (say a older bowler). The wrist stays broken back which makes them release in very weak position.

At least with a firm type wrist brace/support their hand will be in a stronger position compared to one where the wrist stays broken back.
    Right.

I mean, Rob is correct...the modern release involves the cupping/uncupping motion...I've seen a LOT of bowlers who still release the ball like they're rolling a suitcase. A wrist brace (more so than a wrist support) can improve their hand position and make them get more rpms and better ball movement. When I stopped using mine, my teammates actually offered to buy me a new Storm wrist brace because they were mad that suddenly I wasn't getting the same hook I was getting when I was using my old wrist brace.

I resisted...because, like classygranny...and sort of in line with what Rob is saying...I felt I was using the brace as a "crutch" rather than learning how to "roll" the ball and get the rest of my timing/release correct.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12