Thread: I want a Hammer!

Default I want a Hammer!

Hey All,
    Old man here(47) getting back into bowling. When I was younger I had a black hammer...loved that ball but I got rid of it...doh!
    I am looking at a deal on a Black Widow Legend. I am basically one of those old school strokers, nothing fancy, fairly straight and simple. Would this be too much ball for me? If so, can anyone suggest a ball in the hammer family. Not looking to go pro...maybe just join a league and get better.
    Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

The Black Widow Legend is a good ball, it has the Gas Mask core from the Org. Black Widow (Which I had) and the coverstock from the First Blood.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I have the Black Widow Dark Legend, pin up. Gets me through the grease, but still manageable to throw all night. Picked mine up last September/October, and never made a ball switch for the rest of the year. Your PSO should be able to drill the Legend to work with your speed and turn. I think you'd be happy with it.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Chats: 204

Hammer Rebel

Normally I recommend the Arson line for beginners that insist on Hammer...but Hammer discontinued that line. The VIRAL was a good ball as well. Currently Hammer's High Performance line is above average...but the rest of their balls are "blah". I don't usually recommend assymetric cores for beginners and/or those with inconsistent releases. Yes, technically all balls are assymetric after drilling...but there's no need to make things even worse by having a lot of assymetry in the ball.

I love my Scandal Pearl. I am a speed dominant stroker, with heavy roll and very little side rotation. It's my go to ball out of the bag. When it's skidding through the break or jumping off the spot too early, I use a roto grip haywire. With my speed and roll I need an aggressive ball to get to the pocket.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Santos if you are going to take advice from someone on here look at their profile. If there is nothing there or they aren't a very good bowler maybe you look at someone you know.

Thanks for the feedback amigos! Looking forward to chatting more in the future.