Thread: A gentle giant...

Default A gentle giant...

Just thinking about how I started bowling as a kid. My parents both bowled in leagues so I was raised Red Bird Lanes in St. louis, MO. Mom did pretty good but poor Dad had no coordination for the game.
    I was a chunky little dude, very shy, and not very skillful myself. Dad knew a bunch of people at the lanes so he asked a friend to help me out.
    Being anti-social I was worried but went for my lesson. My teacher was a giant...well, he may have been about 6.2 to 6.5 but he was a giant to me. He was an older fellow and very patient. He taught me the approach, the swing, the arrows, and all the basics. He never made me feel bad on gutters and for taking so long to learn the simple basics. He was very soft spoken and encouraging. If he would have been a bad teacher I would have walked away but instead he fueled my love for the game. That man was Frank Mataya, he was a bowling Hall of Famer and a gentle giant. Thanks Mr. Mataya for being an amazing teacher and inspiration to an awkward young boy.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

That's an awesome that you had someone like that to teach you the game and fuel your love for it. More people like that in the game are sorely needed.

Yeah, so many years ago (early 80's) but I won't forget this man.