Thread: High end balls

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Default High end balls

Bowled in a tournament last night and 2 of my friends told me that the high end balls are not made for everyone they are for high end bowlers. If you are an under 210 league bowler you don't need all that ball. It came up because I said something about my Strom Match was hooking a little too much. It has a perfect scale rating of 176 and I have polished it. That's when they both said the expensive monster hook balls are not needed for most bowlers. One has won a couple of senior tournaments and the other is a little younger, late 40's and probably a better bowler.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Bowled in a tournament last night and 2 of my friends told me that the high end balls are not made for everyone they are for high end bowlers. If you are an under 210 league bowler you don't need all that ball.
    Are they made for everyone? I'd say they are made for anyone who knows how and when to use them properly regardless of average.

In a way the statement " high end balls are not made for everyone they are for high end bowlers.' is almost what was said about reactive resin when it first came out.

It was on tv on the Wide World of Sports PBA telecast (or article I read back then), I forgot who it was he was one of the names in bowling at the time.

He said how great these resin balls were, they were the greatest thing to happen in bowling. They would give the pros those one or two extra strikes they needed in a Tournament. But only the Pros and high level amateurs would have use for them, Plus they were expensive and the league bowlers couldn't afford them.

Of course we know how that went.

It came up because I said something about my Strom Match was hooking a little too much. It has a perfect scale rating of 176 and I have polished it.
    I wouldn't say the Match is a " expensive hook monster" if that's what they were trying to say you had.

That's when they both said the expensive monster hook balls are not needed for most bowlers.
    In a way that's basically true, A vast majority of league bowler's are using more ball than they need (or can use properly) for typical house conditions.

A lot bowlers figure "well if the pros are using it, I should too" or "The more $$$, the more it's supposed to hook. the better (stronger) it must be." (it kind of goes with the old "and drill it to go long and snap hard")

One has won a couple of senior tournaments and the other is a little younger, late 40's and probably a better bowler.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Ok the younger one is only 42. I thought he was older. They said the high end balls were great for some of the exotic layouts. I don't know what that means.
    I guess that like your profile thingie on the bottom where it says 13 degrees axis tilt, PAP is located 4 7/8" over 1/4" up. I understand 15.5 mph and medium rev's.

It took me 3-4 years to switch from urethane, I loved my old stuff. Remember finger, thumb and side weight.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    They said the high end balls were great for some of the exotic layouts. I don't know what that means.
    Yeah it would depend on what he considers exotic, To me there's only a hand full of what I would call "exotic" (aka:little used or limited use) layouts Ex. the Boomer layout.

I guess that like your profile thingie on the bottom where it says 13 degrees axis tilt, PAP is located 4 7/8" over 1/4" up. I understand 15.5 mph and medium rev's.
    Okay, P.A.P. (Positive Axis Point) When you release your ball, it's rotating around a "Axis" just like the Earth rotates around it's axis and just like the Earth, Your ball has a North and South pole.

The PAP location measurements (4 7/8" over 1/4" up) basically tells you where the balls North pole is in relation to your grip. Knowing this location is important to laying out a ball.

Tilt tells you how much your balls "Axis" is tilted in relation to the lane surface. When it's parallel to the lane, that's 0° of tilt. When it's perpendicular to the lane (spinning like a top), that's 90° of tilt.

Last edited by bowl1820; 07-15-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Chats: 32

It sounds like your friends are generalizing at best and just plain misinformed at worst. While I agree I see a lot of bowlers throwing high hook potential oil monsters that they don't need to their detriment not all high end balls are hook monsters and not all bowlers are the same. It depends on your game and the conditions you bowl on as to what types of balls you should buy. Myself I'm a lower speed guy and everything hooks early for me I have no use for a heavy oil ball really even on sports patterns. My wife on the other hand has higher speed and lower revs she can use much more early aggressive balls than.

The Storm Match is neither a high end nor overtly aggressive ball if they believe so they are simply misinformed

Not all high end balls are oil monsters. The Storm Timeless has a high end price tag but isn't an oil monster the price of the ball really has nothing to do with when, where, or how it performs on the lanes. Layouts are not overly dependent on the ball although certain core designs are more conducive to some layouts.
    Last edited by Amyers; 07-24-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

There might be a few ways to look at their comments and the reasoning behind it, were it some of the guys I know, I would suspect one possibility
    would be teasing / jacking with a fellow bowler........ also they might be the kind of guy who's been bowling at that center for a long time and still scoring
    pretty well with an old Blue Hammer ball and fail to see how advanced ball technology might benefit them.....so no one else should use it either.

They might have a true dislike / resentment toward the younger bowlers who put a ton of revs, and speed on one of the highly aggressive balls and blow the pins out.....
    because they can no longer throw like that.....if the ever could.

No one will likely argue that everyone needs the ball they have or are using, but many of the more experienced bowlers will tell you there is a time and place
    to use those type of balls.........one center near me puts down a comparatively large amount of oil compared to the other centers....you can throw a regular 2nd arrow
    shot their at the start of the night but typically if enough of the guys are throwing on that line, they will dry up that line after a game or two, to play that 2nd arrow line, you could use lots of different balls and be ok, but when you have to move inside and throw it down the river of oil, you might need a heavy oil ball.

Any of the scenario's presented by others and /or me could be partly correct but it wouldn't surprise me if they were just screwing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    It was on tv on the Wide World of Sports PBA telecast (or article I read back then), I forgot who it was he was one of the names in bowling at the time.
    You're probably thinking of Chris Schenkel. He did a lot of those telecasts from the 60's onward.........

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    You're probably thinking of Chris Schenkel. He did a lot of those telecasts from the 60's onward.........
    While I'm pretty sure it was on WWS, I know it wasn't Chris S. It was someone being interviewed, either a player or a industry rep/insider.