Thread: The ball did what???

Default The ball did what???

Hey All,
    New guy still trying to learn all the lingo...I understand the oil carry down but what is "burn up"?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

You'll hear this phrase a lot of the time, usually in connection with the need to put away a strong ball and take something with a weaker/more polished coverstock out of the bag. What does it mean?

That there is too much friction between the ball and the lane, which causes the ball to hook early, causing it to lose energy and roll out.

When you make a shot, the ball goes through three stages Skid, Hook and Roll.(which is harder to see now a days, because the balls transition through the stages faster.

Skid-
    Skid is when the ball is spinning (rotating) perpendicular to the direction of travel. Which causes the ball to hydroplane on the oil that's on the lane. Like a car tire sliding on wet pavement.

During this period it is storing/saving energy, to release it when it hits the dry. To make that hard turn and hit the pins hard.

Hook-
    Is when the ball starts to come out of the oil and encounters the friction of the dry lane. It then stops skidding and starts to change direction and go into a forward roll toward the pins.

This is when that energy starts to kick in, it's like spinning your car wheels. They spin till they get a grip on the road and the car takes off.

Roll-
    Roll is when the ball is rolling parallel to the direction of travel, a forward roll. The energy is falling off and the ball starts slowing down.

If the ball is too aggressive, the hook and roll will happen to early (Burn up). So by the time the ball hit the pins, it will have lost most of its energy and will carry weakly. Or it won't quite make the turn toward the pocket and leave a washout or something.

That's the thing a lot of bowler's don't get. They think they are bowling on heavy oil because their ball isn't hooking and they want a stronger ball. But a lot of times they are bowling on a dryer shot and they need to use a weaker ball or one with more skid, so it retains energy longer.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-16-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thanks for the detailed explanation! I also used to believe that ball not hooking could only be heavy oil....wow....so much to learn...lol. Thanks!!!

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    You'll hear this phrase a lot of the time, usually in connection with the need to put away a strong ball and take something with a weaker/more polished coverstock out of the bag. What does it mean?

That there is too much friction between the ball and the lane, which causes the ball to hook early, causing it to lose energy and roll out.

When you make a shot, the ball goes through three stages Skid, Hook and Roll.(which is harder to see now a days, because the balls transition through the stages faster.

Skid-
    Skid is when the ball is spinning (rotating) perpendicular to the direction of travel. Which causes the ball to hydroplane on the oil that's on the lane. Like a car tire sliding on wet pavement.

During this period it is storing/saving energy, to release it when it hits the dry. To make that hard turn and hit the pins hard.

Hook-
    Is when the ball starts to come out of the oil and encounters the friction of the dry lane. It then stops skidding and starts to change direction and go into a forward roll toward the pins.

This is when that energy starts to kick in, it's like spinning your car wheels. They spin till they get a grip on the road and the car takes off.

Roll-
    Roll is when the ball is rolling parallel to the direction of travel, a forward roll. The energy is falling off and the ball starts slowing down.

If the ball is too aggressive, the hook and roll will happen to early (Burn up). So by the time the ball hit the pins, it will have lost most of its energy and will carry weakly. Or it won't quite make the turn toward the pocket and leave a washout or something.

That's the thing a lot of bowler's don't get. They think they are bowling on heavy oil because their ball isn't hooking and they want a stronger ball. But a lot of times they are bowling on a dryer shot and they need to use a weaker ball or one with more skid, so it retains energy longer.
    This actually happened to me yesterday while bowling a tourney. I haven't thrown the ball much this summer and apparently I forgot how to read the lanes and ball. So, throwing my Phaze II one game and had a great look. Moved the next pair over after that and first shot out I left a wash out. Thought "oh this pair is way slick"...complete opposite. Took me about 3 frames to realize, "hey dummy, the ball is burning up, grab something polished!". So I grabbed my Timeless and, low and behold, the ball did exactly what I wanted it to do.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Can I tell from looking at the ball motion if my ball is burning up on a dry lane vs not turning on a wet one?

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by mishatx View Post
    Can I tell from looking at the ball motion if my ball is burning up on a dry lane vs not turning on a wet one?
    You should be able to. The ball will want to hook, and you can see it just grabbing and usually by the time it reaches the end of the pattern it has already began the "roll" phase and you'll usually leave something terrible on what you felt was a great shot.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Once you finally allow yourself to accept that carry down is very, very rarely responsible for balls refusing to finish hooking, it's pretty easy: it's burn. If you want to verify this, move more into the oil (to the left for right handers) with everything from your target at the arrows to your exit point from the end of the pattern. If the ball hooks there, but not to the right, it's burn.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Some reference material:

Oil Transition: The Change You're Looking For

Carrydown and Depletion info start at about the 4:00 mark.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Some reference material:

Oil Transition: The Change You're Looking For

Carrydown and Depletion info start at about the 4:00 mark.
    Overall, this is a great explanation of pattern transition. I just have two questions:
    Why would a 2:2 move out and a 2:1 or 4:2 move in all be called paralel moves?
    Why would "burning a spot" through the heads lead to higher scores? I can see how burning a spot in the midlane, especially on a flatter pattern, would give you some miss room outside once you make your move inside. All burning a spot through the heads does is creatate an area to avoid, as I know of know bowling technique that benefits from having the ball read friction in the first 15 to 20 feet.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Overall, this is a great explanation of pattern transition. I just have two questions:
    Why would a 2:2 move out and a 2:1 or 4:2 move in all be called paralel moves?
    Imo it's a script typo and the narrator just read it right off the script that way and didn't realize what it said.

In the comments for this youtube video, someone asked this same question. In the reply it was suggested They were trying to provide you with 3 different options as little moves to get deeper, i.e. "parallel move" OR "2-1" OR "4-2". But of course it doesn't sound like that when he reads it.

Note:
    A angular change is a severe/hard change in your target line, Where you change your lay down point and keep the same target at the arrows. ie: "1-0","2-0" etc.

A angular change like "2-1" & "4-2" are less severe/soft angular changes.

Why would "burning a spot" through the heads lead to higher scores? I can see how burning a spot in the midlane, especially on a flatter pattern, would give you some miss room outside once you make your move inside. All burning a spot through the heads does is create an area to avoid, as I know of know bowling technique that benefits from having the ball read friction in the first 15 to 20 feet.
    As for this I can't really say, They don't address it on the IAB website that I can see in the comments there.

If I had to hazard a guess, I believe it has to do with where he says "this allows the players to move in" just after the heads have opened up comment. Because it would be too oily before that to move in yet and no dry bump area create yet.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-19-2017 at 12:43 PM.