Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Input on my release

Chats: 1

What would a reasonable rate for bowling lessons?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    Depends on the coaches qualification and location. I think anywhere between $25-$50/hr is pretty standard. Places like Kegel or the ITRC and it's going to be way more.

Cranker

My concern now is that I currently carry a 186 average throwing the way I do, If I go to try to change my release am I going to have a bit of a drop off for a while?
    I changed my release in Jan during the season and I did drop some pins in average because it took time to train the muscle memory for the new release. From game to game I was really inconsistent, one game I would be doing the new release perfect and then next game I would be in between. Not doing my new release but not really doing my old release either. It's all about practice, practice, practice until you get the new release down.

Don't concern yourself about your average. They don't mean anything really. If you have that 186 at one or two houses, but you go to another house you might be 196 or 176. Average is meaningless to me. I've bowled against a 248 (league average) PBA hall of famer and took his money more than once. I got beat by a 179 (league bowler) female in scratch/match play. Average is meaningless to me.

I've had people ask me for help with their game, but didn't want to try some changes because their average will drop. 5-10 years later, still 181, 198, 192 - dummies.

I went through my own experience, I did drop 5 pins during the 3 year process and stayed par for a long time. But I kept trying and fitting in practice when I can. I had a new baby a year prior to the changes and took a season off too. But I kept practicing. Fast forward a couple of year, I can't fit/join in certain teams because my average will put the team over the cap. Most importantly, I've gained speed and revs, accuracy and spare game improved, and the game is fun again. And, I have more aches and pains being older, recovery is longer, but I'm bowling well.

Too many ppl nowadays don't want to sacrifice to get to the top. Microwave generation, instant noodle people. Can't wait for water to boil.
    Last edited by fokai73; 07-21-2017 at 01:48 PM.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

That is what I had to get use to is letting the ball turn my hand at the release right after the thumb came out quickly first. I find that it is very easy to turn the hand early. When you do turn early your thumb will probably hang up and you will end up with a pulled shot.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Average is $40-$50. Personally, I charge $100 and have never had any complaints. Just beware of the wanna-be coaches who have no training in coaching and try to reel you in by charging $20... you really do get what you pay for!

Bowler

My coach...er...pro shop guy put me at a 3/4 angle behind the ball.. is that what you call it. So i can throw straight and in. I dont have to flick my wrist. It does feel better to be completly behind though

Bowler

Default fixed the quoting

I guess im in the same boat and shouldnt be so hard on myself...i changed my shot in july and am still changing the speed of my feet and height of where i first hold the ball..i need to pick something and repeat for 100 games.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    I changed my release in Jan during the season and I did drop some pins in average because it took time to train the muscle memory for the new release. From game to game I was really inconsistent, one game I would be doing the new release perfect and then next game I would be in between. Not doing my new release but not really doing my old release either. It's all about practice, practice, practice until you get the new release down.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-29-2017 at 10:22 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12