Thread: Ball upkeep...

Default Ball upkeep...

Noob question: i just got my first performance ball. This is a new world for me. It is a used Hammer BW Legend. I am basically just bowling on drier open lanes for now . Do i need to do anything to it after so long or so many games? It was polished when it came. When my pro shop redrilled the thumb, he resurfaced it to a fsctory finish.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

If you are just open bowling i would just wipe the ball off in between shots and maybe if you want get a ball cleaner from your pro shop to clean it.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Preventative maintenance is the best way to prolong a balls life.

1- Wipe your ball off after every shot, using a microfiber towel or leather ball shammy. This helps keep the ball clean and reduces oil absorption, plus helps with having a consistent reaction

2- After you get done bowling a session, you should clean your ball off with a approved ball cleaner.

These two things do the most to help reduce oil absorption into the cover of the ball and maintain it's reaction.

As for the surface, alot depends on the conditions you bowl on and how much you bowl. A rule of thumb is you should touch up the surface about every 9 games.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

It's kind of difficult to resurface a polished ball every 9 games unless you have a spinner at home. I usually resurface my polished equipment every 30-45 games depending on reaction.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Thanks amigos. I will definitely start with a microfiber towel and ball cleaner.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    It's kind of difficult to resurface a polished ball every 9 games unless you have a spinner at home. I usually resurface my polished equipment every 30-45 games depending on reaction.
    You can "touch up" a polished surface by hand, you don't need a spinner.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    You can "touch up" a polished surface by hand, you don't need a spinner.
    When you say "touch up" are you meaning just the last step and just hitting it with some polish? Talking about a 1500 grit polished ball or should you 4000 Abralon it and then polish. It's about time for a little polish on my Code Red, I am getting near 20 games on it. Shot a 655 in practice with it the other night (210,208,237). Best set since the "come back" 😎.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    When you say "touch up" are you meaning just the last step and just hitting it with some polish? Talking about a 1500 grit polished ball or should you 4000 Abralon it and then polish.
    Yes just the final step, when referring to a "1500 grit polished" that usually is referring the Storm surface. As you can see here in the steps guide for the 1500 surface, they recommend "touching up" with just the final step.

1500-grit Polished Factory Finish
    1. 500-grit pad – Sand firmly for 30 seconds on all four sides.
    2. 1000-grit pad – Sand lightly for 20 seconds on all four sides.
    3. 2000-grit pad – Sand lightly for 20 seconds on all four sides.
    4. 4000-grit pad – Sand lightly for 20 seconds on all four sides.
    5. Storm®Step Two™– Polish lightly for 15 seconds on each side.

Storm®recommends using the suggested cleaner/polish daily. In addition, Storm recommends
    touching up the surface with only the final step
    every 20 games and resurfacing completely
    every 30-50 games

Ok great, thank you... Next session or so it will be time for me to toss some polish on the Code Red.