Thread: Surface adjustment for smoother motion?

Chats: 0

Default Surface adjustment for smoother motion?

I bowl with the Storm Timeless(hybrid cover) which is 1500 grit polished from the factory. Because of my ball speed which is around 13.5 rpm according to the bowling alley, my PSO drill it with the pin above my middle finger. I bowl mainly on the house pattern. I love the ball but it can be a bit overreacting. No matter how far left I get, it goes long like it is supposed to but more often it snaps hard at the break point and I miss the pocket high. I'll switch to my Storm Punch Out(pearl cover)a lower end ball that is a little smoother at the break point. As I'm a relatively new bowler and most of this is me needing to improve lane adjustments. However, I was wondering if I change the surface to 1000 grit, which I know will react sooner but will that smooth the motion some at the backend?

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by skfboiler View Post
    I bowl with the Storm Timeless(hybrid cover) which is 1500 grit polished from the factory. Because of my ball speed which is around 13.5 rpm according to the bowling alley, my PSO drill it with the pin above my middle finger. I bowl mainly on the house pattern. I love the ball but it can be a bit overreacting. No matter how far left I get, it goes long like it is supposed to but more often it snaps hard at the break point and I miss the pocket high. I'll switch to my Storm Punch Out(pearl cover)a lower end ball that is a little smoother at the break point. As I'm a relatively new bowler and most of this is me needing to improve lane adjustments. However, I was wondering if I change the surface to 1000 grit, which I know will react sooner but will that smooth the motion some at the backend?
    So, being a Timeless owner myself, they are quite powerful out of the box. Best thing you can do, get some games on it. After about 30 games and a light coat of polish over the factory surface, it tamed down quite a bit and became one of the most predictable balls I've ever thrown. But, if you're looking at smoothing out the back end, my go to is 4000 grit. Gives a nice, smooth and controlled look. The R2S coverstock takes surface change exceptionally well. Play around with it a bit. I would start at 4000 grit and work my way down honestly to find the best reaction. I personally went with polish as I liked the back end reaction, but needed a bit more length. A touch of polish did the trick.
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by skfboiler View Post
    I love the ball but it can be a bit overreacting. No matter how far left I get, it goes long like it is supposed to but more often it snaps hard at the break point
    That's understandable, by moving far left your going across more oil in the middle of the lane. The ball retains more power because of the skidding in the oil, then when it hits the dry it takes off.

You could actually try moving right into the dryer areas, to try and bleed off energy and not over react.

However, I was wondering if I change the surface to 1000 grit, which I know will react sooner but will that smooth the motion some at the backend?
    yes dulling the surface will smooth out the reaction.

Going from a polished 1500 down to a 1000 is a big jump, Is it too much? without seeing how it reacts now it would be hard to say.

You could do the small steps first (4000 etc etc) see how it goes, if you have time in warm up you can go through the surfaces quick.

But a big jump might surprise you. IMO a lot house players under estimate how much surface they need. One time at Kegel they said most house players use too shiny a ball surface.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    IMO a lot house players under estimate how much surface they need. One time at Kegel they said most house players use too shiny a ball surface.
    I actually kinda agree with you on this...but what is your opinion on the opposite side of that argument. I've seen some bowlers (and fell into this trap myself awhile back)...where you sand down your equipment and the balls burn up midway down the lane and start rolling out at about 40ft.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I actually kinda agree with you on this...but what is your opinion on the opposite side of that argument. I've seen some bowlers (and fell into this trap myself awhile back)...where you sand down your equipment and the balls burn up midway down the lane and start rolling out at about 40ft.
    Well in that instance, those bowlers over estimated how much surface they needed.

You have to use some judgement and use the proper amount of surface, You can't just go from one extreme to the other.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

Thanks for all the suggestions. Today, I tried 3000 grit, no polish before my open bowling games and that seemed to smooth the ball motion quite a bit. I may try 2000 to experiment what that will do to the ball motion.