Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Adjustment Guaranteed to Raise Your Average

Default One Adjustment Guaranteed to Raise Your Average

By far the most common error that I see bowlers making is in how they approach the two lanes on which they are bowling. Most bowlers start bowling assuming that the two lanes that make up the "pair" will be equal and playing the same. From what I've observed in my own bowling, as well as watching others, when you assume that the two lanes will play the same, you will be wrong about 90% of the time. Conversely, if you can ADJUST YOUR ATTITUDE to assume that the two lanes will play differently from each other, you will be right about 90% of the time. One way to quickly assess how the lanes are playing is to simply watch the scoreboard carefully. If you see that other bowlers are striking on one lane and sparing on the other, you can be pretty sure that the lanes are different. Along with this, you need to assess what the lanes are doing independently of how you throw your shot. If you wait for a perfect shot to prove to you that the lanes are different, you are liable to waste three or four frames before you make the adjustment.

Chats: 4

Very, very true Rob I've seen times I've had to play the
    1st or 2nd board on one lane and the 20th board on the
    other lane to hit the pocket.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I was wondering what the reason for lanes being that different were. Was the lanes in that bad of shape or was the lane man incompetent?

Someone can probably dig it up, but I remember seeing a video with a pro where both lanes were "flat" within tolerance but were so different from each other that the pro could not believe they had the same oil pattern applied.

That's in addition to the small differences that add up : heat and humidity will vary slightly from spot to spot, each lane will have had balls thrown in slightly different locations, etc. Heck, the lanes could be perfect but the pinsetting equipment could vary just enough to cause different action even from the same shot.

https://youtu.be/g-3f9FEjo9I

Is this the video you are referring to?
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by BowlingBoards.com View Post
    https://youtu.be/g-3f9FEjo9I

Is this the video you are referring to?
    the video is not complete... the slope on the lane 5 is .001 (flat) and the slope per board on lane 6 had slope per board of .004 to the right.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Yes, that's the video I was thinking of.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    the video is not complete... the slope on the lane 5 is .001 (flat) and the slope per board on lane 6 had slope per board of .004 to the right.
    Here's the whole video:

ball motion topography Kegel Training Center

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Lane Topography with Del Warren and Ron Hickland Jr

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast