Thread: Follow through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Follow through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone have any tips,tricks,techniques for a consistent follow through? This is one of my main ongoing issues. As soon as the ball stops hooking i blame everything outside of my throw...lol. It's so amazing how a consistent follow through totally makes a difference. Sounds so freaking simple yet so difficult. I pull too much or push too much, but if I follow through it's amazing....Aaaaaaarrrrggggg.....
    Ok...I am done venting.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Follow through is one thing that I do not worry about. Nothing that your arm does after you release the ball can have any effect on what the ball does. The follow through can be a symptom that something's wrong, but the only kids I can think of who have been helped by being told to focus on their follow through were the ones who had almost no follow through and sort of just dumped the ball onto the lane.
    John

Since your release zone is very near the bottom of the swing arc or slightly forward on the upswing, a good rule of thumb is to continue swinging your hand and arm in an upward motion along the swing arc and towards the direction of your target. Try to avoid thrusting your bowling shoulder forward ahead of your non-bowling shoulder once the ball has exited your hand. If you are able to practice your follow through, your bowling and your balance should become more consistent
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Never could understand why a ball would stop hooking. Is the ball drilled for a person who throws with the other hand?

One way to look at follow through is that in most sports you want to be accelerating through the release point, and not slowing down or stopping as you reach that point.

Golf, bowling, baseball, if your body knows it's stopping as soon as the ball is struck (released) you subconsciously begin slowing your motion as you reach that point,
    focusing on following through helps you keep from doing that, hence the reason it helps improve your performance.

Of course in some instances people do slow / stop their acceleration through the contact / release point with no perceived adverse effect, in those cases follow through might not offer any significant advantage t them.

As far as a ball not hooking, certainly not following through could be one of the causes, your not swinging through the ball and dropping it off your thumb and not getting much fingers in the ball to give it the revs needed to get proper ball movement.

I guess the more I analyze it, it's more about pushing it or pulling it too much. I am long legged and I have a bad habit of starting lower and coming up to much at the end. I also saw a good point about thinking "I need to make it hook so I turn my hand way to early. So many little things...

One session with a qualified Coach can really get you going in the right direction. While free internet help is well-meaning and sometimes helpful, a qualified coach is going to help you.