Thread: Single hosue Phenomenon

Chats: 1

Default Single hosue Phenomenon

Ok so when I bowl at this house almost every week, you can bury the ball in the pocket and all but split 8 & 9 and leave a 10. But you can hit to pocket real light and about 70% of the time strike. When this happens most people who play there much will announce "Welcome to Holiday" as the name of the house is Holiday Lanes. Any suggestion as to what might be causing these light hits to strike so often? The weird thing is it's every pair not just a single set of lanes.s

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    Ok so when I bowl at this house almost every week, you can bury the ball in the pocket and all but split 8 & 9 and leave a 10. But you can hit to pocket real light and about 70% of the time strike. When this happens most people who play there much will announce "Welcome to Holiday" as the name of the house is Holiday Lanes. Any suggestion as to what might be causing these light hits to strike so often? The weird thing is it's every pair not just a single set of lanes.s
    It's called "Welcome to PinChasers" here, Pretty much everywhere at some point you start hearing "Welcome to ______" when a bunch of ten pins start getting left and/or light hits carrying (hitt'em light and watch'em fight).

It's conditions and topography, usually here the balls are coming in hard from a steep angle from outside and there's no mixing of the pins on the hit They just get blew back in the pit and around the ten pin.

You change, reduce the angle a little and start getting the pins mixing.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I agree that it's most likely conditions and such leading to this and not just the house itself. My Brother-N-Law is a great bowler and when I talk to him he says the house he bowls league in is notorious for leaving 10 pins.... I have bowled a summer league there and shot some of my best scores in that house and did it consistently, I did not notice 10 pins being left more frequently than anywhere else.. Some nights anything that touches the pocket will carry and other nights you can flush up on the pocket and leave splits, 7s, 10s, etc. all night. I have noticed for me that it happens most often for me on carry down... I get the best carry on clean backends and when the lanes haven't been oiled in 3 days and are rocking some carry down, thats when I start to leave crazy stuff on flush hits.

Remember the pins are setup the same way there as they are everywhere else, so when the pins won't fall there is something going on with conditions that need to be approached. Come in steeper/more shallow etc.

PS: My issue is on carry down and I haven't figured out how to fix it yet, a good game for me on a lot of carry down is a 175 and I leave all mad lol.. When I can get to the pocket flush, I leave something standing everytime... Older gentleman two lanes down is playing up 2nd arrow and is knocking em down like nobodies business. That gives me some insight on what I might need to add to the arsenal.

Chats: 0

Leaving 10 pins and brutal lane topography is what chased my team to another house this coming season. We bowled in a house with the original wood lanes from 1962, and they haven't been resurfaced in 10 years. Every pair plays differently and 10 pins on some pairs on solid hits are normal. Bad thing is is light hits don't carry either. Last year our league had one 300 game and two 299's. No one has shot over 800 there since 2013.
    My average there was around 204. High on my team was 208. We won the league. Even though we have a great team and could dominate that league again, we decided to leave for a house that takes care of the lanes. The scores are higher, but the topography issues aren't there.
    At my old house, there are 16 lanes. There are no leagues that cover all 16 lanes on any day or night. Where we are moving, there are 32 lanes, and the lanes are at capacity 5 out of 7 days.

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    I agree that it's most likely conditions and such leading to this and not just the house itself. My Brother-N-Law is a great bowler and when I talk to him he says the house he bowls league in is notorious for leaving 10 pins.... I have bowled a summer league there and shot some of my best scores in that house and did it consistently, I did not notice 10 pins being left more frequently than anywhere else.. Some nights anything that touches the pocket will carry and other nights you can flush up on the pocket and leave splits, 7s, 10s, etc. all night. I have noticed for me that it happens most often for me on carry down... I get the best carry on clean backends and when the lanes haven't been oiled in 3 days and are rocking some carry down, thats when I start to leave crazy stuff on flush hits.

Remember the pins are setup the same way there as they are everywhere else, so when the pins won't fall there is something going on with conditions that need to be approached. Come in steeper/more shallow etc.

PS: My issue is on carry down and I haven't figured out how to fix it yet, a good game for me on a lot of carry down is a 175 and I leave all mad lol.. When I can get to the pocket flush, I leave something standing everytime... Older gentleman two lanes down is playing up 2nd arrow and is knocking em down like nobodies business. That gives me some insight on what I might need to add to the arsenal.
    You're probably not experiencing carry down at all. Sounds like what you are experiencing is the lanes burning up. Ball down and move right
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Chats: 2

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    Leaving 10 pins and brutal lane topography is what chased my team to another house this coming season. We bowled in a house with the original wood lanes from 1962, and they haven't been resurfaced in 10 years. Every pair plays differently and 10 pins on some pairs on solid hits are normal. Bad thing is is light hits don't carry either. Last year our league had one 300 game and two 299's. No one has shot over 800 there since 2013.
    My average there was around 204. High on my team was 208. We won the league. Even though we have a great team and could dominate that league again, we decided to leave for a house that takes care of the lanes. The scores are higher, but the topography issues aren't there.
    At my old house, there are 16 lanes. There are no leagues that cover all 16 lanes on any day or night. Where we are moving, there are 32 lanes, and the lanes are at capacity 5 out of 7 days.
    I feel your pain. We not only get a proprietor that doesn't really care in my area, but also twister pins. Good luck carrying
    • Current Arsenal: Storm Timeless, Storm Phaze II, Storm Pitch Black, Storm Drive, Rotogrip Hot Cell, Rotogrip Show Off, DV8 Turmoil Pearl
    • High Game: 300 (3 11 in a row) / High Series: 799
    • Current Average: 202 / PAP: 5" over, 1/8" up
    • Rev Rate: 425rpm / 2-Hands

Awwwww...this makes me miss my favorite lanes that closed many years ago....Red Bird Lanes...the shot was amazing and super easy....they made any schmo feel like a pro!

Quote Originally Posted by chip82901 View Post
    You're probably not experiencing carry down at all. Sounds like what you are experiencing is the lanes burning up. Ball down and move right
    I would agree with that if I was having trouble getting my solid cover through the fronts which is currently sitting at a 500 grit, granted I don't claim to be a pro at all so I won't argue your point. At the old place I was bowling at I know I frequently would get on burned lanes there and the ball would nearly start hooking at the arrows. Either way, I am currently in the process of expanding my arsenal so i'll hopefully be able to find something that will work for me when I start experiencing this... Hyroad Pearl is next on the list