Thread: Skid/Flip

Default Skid/Flip

Can someone explain what a Skid/Flip drilling layout is please. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Can someone explain what a Skid/Flip drilling layout is please. Thanks.
    It's a layout that gives your ball length with a sharp breakpoint and aggressive backend reaction. The ball path has more of a hockey stick shape.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

The layout that can be the most fun to throw/watch but sometimes hardest to control... Like bowl1820 said, gives the ball length and is very aggressive on the backend. Fun stuff!!!!

Ok....sounds like i am not readyfor that yet...lol....thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Ok....sounds like i am not readyfor that yet...lol....thanks!
    They are not very forgiving if you tug/pull one inside... When they hit the dry they are gonna run on you, if you can keep it out to the right they can be more forgiving because they do have tendency to make it back and be more forgiving if you miss outside rather than inside.... With my Tyrant which had a strong solid coverstock and a smooth motion I can get away with shots that I keep on a tight line to the pocket.. Matter of fact, if I have one in close to the pocket with the Tyrant and only need a very small hook to the pocket, its almost a guaranteed strike. I know that because I do it frequently and it destroys the pins everytime lol, the ball stays in the oil and keeps all of the energy.

With my Code Red on the other hand, if I pull one in tight to the pocket I am yelling, "HOLD..HOLD..HOLD" at the ball because I know when it hits the friction it's gonna wanna start moving and its either going through the nose or running brooklyn.. Either way when I start pulling the ball a lot, I am getting tired and its time for me to go home anyways lol.

Yeah, my thoughts are that when people go in as a beginner and want "The strongest ball you have" they're looking for the flippiest. That's why I see people with super strong asymmetric solids on our lanes all the time and they're complaining about how smooth it is. It's fun to throw that ball that skids through the fronts and just turns left like someone kicked it, but normally once you get into better players they're looking to control their reaction more and use the flippy balls when they're necessary to get out the corner pins. At least that's what I think.