Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of those days....

Default One of those days....

Ever have more of those days where every frame feels like a different release? Practicing the other day felt like I had no idea what I was doing....lol. I felt like my hand was never the same from one throw to the next. Strikes were few and I felt lost. I wanted to blame the lanes but I know better. There was even a point at one game when I thought my 10 year was going to beat me! I think I let myself get way too distracted by any and everything. I hate that completely lost feeling. This game drives me crazy but I love it!!!

Everytime. Although for me, it's less my release and more my feet and balance never feel the same.

I had one of those days yesterday while practicing. Same as the OP describes, it feels different off my hand on every roll. I finally found the pocket by moving way right and just coming nearly straight up the back with my earliest roller (alpha crux). If I tried to get a lot of hand in it/get around the ball I just felt like a total klutz.

I think for me it can be a timing issue when I have these days. I really need to find a coach but doubt I'll find the time for regular lessons.

I need a 600 on Thursday to finish summer league with a 180 average. No way I'll get it if I'm still out of sync. I get lots of 580-590 series but have only had one 600 in league (new to bowling, this is my 3rd league). It's strange how close I always come without getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Ever have more of those days where every frame feels like a different release? Practicing the other day felt like I had no idea what I was doing....lol. I felt like my hand was never the same from one throw to the next. Strikes were few and I felt lost. I wanted to blame the lanes but I know better. There was even a point at one game when I thought my 10 year was going to beat me! I think I let myself get way too distracted by any and everything. I hate that completely lost feeling. This game drives me crazy but I love it!!!
    Don't worry man it happens to all of us... Makes you appreciate the days where everything feels perfect.. For me, my timing sometimes get just a touch late which I don't think seems to affect me too much BUT.... I get days where I try to be Mr. Cranker and saw on it at the bottom and get start turning my hand early and come off the side. I can usually still find my way to the pocket, but its not near as clean or efficient. Its hard to do, but forget about it and look forward to next time out. It happens in any sport really... Somedays you can hit what seems like 100 3pointers in a row in basketball but the next day you can't make a single one to save your life.

Chats: 22

When I have one of those days I try to loosen myself up by not just blaming the lanes but by blaming random things like:

Somebody just flushed a toilet in the mens room, it affected the humidy level of the center and changed the pattern
    Somebody just walked in. They let in hot air from outside and the pattern changed.

Seriously though, one guy did complain once that the lanes were messed up due to our proximity to the bathrooms.
    "If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright

Chats: 32

When this happens and it happens to everyone even the pros it's almost always timing. Try to really focus on when your starting your ball and the speed of your steps. The quicker you can correct it and get back on track the better off you'll be.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Since you were practicing, it sounded like you were practicing things that weren't what you wanted to practice doing in the first place. If I get in a place where I realize my release isn't working well, I'll step back and throw a few shots that will get me back in sync. I'll roll a few foul line drills where you don't take any steps and get yourself in a balanced position right near the foul line. Then just allow the ball swing by your side a couple of times and finally just let it go slowly down the lane. If you're with someone, perhaps just roll it slowly to them from that same balanced position (i.e., with your non-slide leg angled behind you and your non-bowling arm out to the side, etc.). After you've done a few of those then go to the one step drill. These two drills should get you into a good feeling of making good shots again with your normal delivery. Just think how happy your 10 year old will be when she beats you... Have fun. Both of you...

Quote Originally Posted by panbanger View Post
    When I have one of those days I try to loosen myself up by not just blaming the lanes but by blaming random things like:

Somebody just flushed a toilet in the mens room, it affected the humidy level of the center and changed the pattern
    Somebody just walked in. They let in hot air from outside and the pattern changed.

Seriously though, one guy did complain once that the lanes were messed up due to our proximity to the bathrooms.
    Lol....I love these examples!!!

I figure, if the going to blame everything else around you except for you, you need to seriously check yourself!

That's what separates the serious amateurs/pros from the rest of us. But even they have days like that. just not as bad. We're human and have bad days. Don't get down on yourself, use it as fuel to do better next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast