Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Ball

Chats: 1

Default New Ball

Ok everyone, I won a ball that I dont think fits in my arsenal. I can trade it in to my pro shop but I want to know what fits best with what I currently have. Right now my heavy oil ball is my Snap Lock by Storm, my Medium oil ball is my Track Kinetic Emerald, and my light oil ball is Columbia 300 Freeze (original) and my spare ball is a Pyramid Path. My Freeze is the oldest ball I have and may be interested in replacing it but if there's some other scenario that might be a good fit I'd like to hear it, as well as suggestions as what to replace the Freeze with.

Thanks,

Rob

Wow....i like your arsenal, I'll take anything you dont want! Lol

What ball did you win?? I would say a strong solid like Storm Sure Lock or RG No Rules to give you some traction in true "heavy oil".. Probably not something you would use that often but you would probably be glad you have it on nights where the "lane guy" hit the oil button twice (joke). Snap Lock is a strong ball but I don't see it handling true heavy oil that well.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    What ball did you win?? I would say a strong solid like Storm Sure Lock or RG No Rules to give you some traction in true "heavy oil".. Probably not something you would use that often but you would probably be glad you have it on nights where the "lane guy" hit the oil button twice (joke). Snap Lock is a strong ball but I don't see it handling true heavy oil that well.
    I won the Brunswick Edge Solid on here.
    Rolling: Storm Snap Lock, Track Kinetic Emerald, Columbia 300 Freeze, and Pyramid Path Spare

I figured Bowl or Amyers might have some input on what might fit with the current arsenal.
    Rolling: Storm Snap Lock, Track Kinetic Emerald, Columbia 300 Freeze, and Pyramid Path Spare

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    I figured Bowl or Amyers might have some input on what might fit with the current arsenal.
    A lot the time I don't recommend balls because there are a lot of good balls, but knowing if they would be a good match for someone you don't know can be difficult.

The balls you have now, have a good range of coverage.

I don't think the Edge would be a bad fit, it would add strong Symmetrical to your set (it's a solid, close to the Snap lock numbers) which you don't have. With the right surfaces I think it would be good for the fresh, then as you move in you could switch to the Asym. Snap lock to help with turning the corner.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

One thing you could consider, if you love the way the Snap Lock rolls / hits, you could trade the new ball in for a Sure Lock, it's a solid cover stock / heavy oil ball, with more of a continuous motion,and has the same core as the Snap Lock. The Snap Lock is more of a medium to heavy oil ball with a skid / snap ball motion.

One of my buddies has had a Sure Lock and loved the way it rolled, he used it primarily at one center that puts down heavy oil. Just recently added the Snap Lock and thinks it will work well in his arsenal in situations where the Sure Lock is too much for the conditions or as a step down later in the series.

Like was already mentioned, it's hard to suggest a ball to someone and even harder when it's not someone you regularly see bowl or know what conditions they face.
    This is just an idea based on if and how you like the current ball and what one of the guys I often bowl with has done. Good Luck with it.

After bowling practice last night I stand behind my recommendation on a strong solid and it seems the others agree. I almost always take my Storm Code Red out first and last night was no different. Warmup game started out ok but I definitely felt like the ball was laboring and was having a tough time getting back in where it usually comes back from anywhere. This is my new ball and I was at about 20 games with it and normally bowl great with it, there was just too much oil down last night. Pulled out the Columbia 300 Tyrant and started striking and bowling a lot better. My Tyrant bailed me out last night and it won't take me so long to switch to it next time. I wanted to throw the Code Red but there was just too much oil down for it.

Like I said before, it might not be a ball you go to often but when you have to you will be happy it's in your bag.

SandBagger
    Chats: 0

I was lucky and won a Melee Hook a while back. I start with this and either go up to Tyrant or down to UpRoar. The Melee is adjustable surfaced for tournament conditions.

Chats: 32

Sorry for the late reply. I agree with bowl it would work in your current line up. The cover and core in the Snap Lock are stronger than the Edge. The Kinetic Emerald should be longer than the Edge. Pretty much anytime the Snap Lock is too much on fresh the Edge should be there. It's been my experience with the Melee (which the Edge is basically the same thing) they work better with straighter angles so it's more of a ball to start with than switch too. Use your Kinetic Emerald or Snap Lock when you switch if you decide to keep it.

Part of it depends on how many balls you want to carry I refuse to carry more than 5 including the spare myself. For some that number is higher and lower. If I didn't care to carry the extra ball I'd keep it you will find uses for it the Melee was a pretty popular ball if not I'd trade it for something that could replace the Freeze as we've talked about before. As far as was mentioned about stronger in the other posts it depends on your game. They could coat the lanes in motor oil and I wouldn't need a No Rules lol my wife who's more speed dominate can throw some pretty strong stuff even on a house shot. If you feel that's a problem you face consider it but if not there's not much point in investing in a door stop.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast