Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumpers....

Default Bumpers....

Bowling with bumpers up for my 10 year old. Other than the obvious, hard to hit 10 pins etc. I have problems bowling with them because I feel closed in or distracted. Anyone else find it impossible to bowl with bumpers?!?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Bowling with bumpers up for my 10 year old. Other than the obvious, hard to hit 10 pins etc.
    Why is that obvious? Having the bumpers up should have no bearing on picking up a ten pin. If the ball is hitting the bumper your not shooting the ten properly.

I have problems bowling with them because I feel closed in or distracted. Anyone else find it impossible to bowl with bumpers?!?
    Shooting with the bumpers up isn't really a problem, unless your trying to play the ball far outside.

I don't find it impossible, but I understand the feeling. You don't feel as free to project the ball out, as you normally would and might tend to pull your shots more because of it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Why is that obvious? Having the bumpers up should have no bearing on picking up a ten pin. If the ball is hitting the bumper your not shooting the ten properly.
    I don't know, I am one of those freaks that hits my 10 pin with a hook instead of a straight ball!

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    I don't know, I am one of those freaks that hits my 10 pin with a hook instead of a straight ball!
    You're not the only one man... I was throwing my Tyrant straighter at 10 pins and my make percentage wasn't that high. I was just trying to get used to going straight at em for when I get a spare ball. Decided to move to about board 35 and throw my normal shot and Boom started picking up 10s pretty consistently. Today while practicing, I struck in the 1st frame but left a 10 pin on flush hits in the 2nd,3rd, and 4th frame... Picked every one of them up.

I will likely still get a spare ball next summer and work on going straight at them because it takes lane conditions out of play, where you stand and how deep you get it can vary greatly based off lane conditions.. Straight ball, none of that matters... I'll stick with hooking them for now since Fall league is almost among us.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    I will likely still get a spare ball next summer and work on going straight at them because it takes lane conditions out of play, where you stand and how deep you get it can vary greatly based off lane conditions.. Straight ball, none of that matters... I'll stick with hooking them for now since Fall league is almost among us.
    Since there is still a month to go before league starts, I'm going to start throwing a hard plastic ball at most spares. In the past I've always used my strike ball or a polished strike ball for spares. It's time for me to go old school and just go straight on for single pins and easy spares. Plus, it will be easier on my body, since I'm not young any more. I'll save what revs I can still muster for my first ball.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    You're not the only one man... I was throwing my Tyrant straighter at 10 pins and my make percentage wasn't that high. I was just trying to get used to going straight at em for when I get a spare ball. Decided to move to about board 35 and throw my normal shot and Boom started picking up 10s pretty consistently. Today while practicing, I struck in the 1st frame but left a 10 pin on flush hits in the 2nd,3rd, and 4th frame... Picked every one of them up.

Amen! I have a tendency to NOT do things the way the majority does, including my techniques. Seems to work better in bowling and life!

Chats: 0

Can you just get rid of the bumpers on your shots? When I bowl with my 3 year old at a house that doesn't have automatic bumpers I usually fold in the right bumper before my shots and pull it back out for his turn.

Chats: 0

Easy solution just rent a pair of lanes next time!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Easy solution just rent a pair of lanes next time!
    Yup, we do whenever possible. Seems we like to bowl at peak times when we can only get one.

Quote Originally Posted by PBizme View Post
    Can you just get rid of the bumpers on your shots? When I bowl with my 3 year old at a house that doesn't have automatic bumpers I usually fold in the right bumper before my shots and pull it back out for his turn.
    This is also an option. Other than last time I bowled at a place with automatic bumpers they only worked correctly for half a game.. After that they started coming up in the middle of everybody's approach so we ended up just leaving them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast