Thread: A oddity the "Flying Insert"

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default A oddity the "Flying Insert"

I was videoing my bowling last night and just happened to catch this.

The bowler on the right of me was shooting that spare and his finger insert came out. It flew up in the air (the red arrow is pointing at it) and it landed about my left gutter bounced and rolled back right. Then stopped about the 10 board, near where my ball track would have crossed.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-03-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

That's just one of them flying bowling alley critters that are sighted after the third pitcher of beer! Lol

My father n law told me he had a insert come off during league one night somewhere between the ball exiting the pin deck and it coming back on the ball return.. He said it took them awhile but an employee went back and found it and he glued it back in and continued bowling haha.

Also at a Storm/RG I witnessed a thumb insert fly out. The lady didn't lock it in all the way and when she threw the ball it went about 5 feet up in the air and slammed on the lane, while the thumb insert went about 10ft in the air and landed about halfway down the lane. I have since switched to Turbo Switchgrips and cross my fingers that this doesn't happen to me. I have made it a part of my pre-shot routine to double check that its snapped in while I'm lining up my feet.

Gotta stop procrastinating and go get a tripod to use with my phone so maybe I can catch one of these rare occurrences on video or maybe somebody throwing a ball backwards which seems to happen pretty often lol.

Chats: 4

I had that happen to me a month or so ago finger grip popped right
    out and 10 feet in the air and into the left gutter about 20 foot down
    the lane.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 0

I had that happen to me once. I had a new ball drilled up a day before league. Used it the next day, multiple practice shots and 11 frames of bowling without an issue. I needed to strike on the last shot for our team to win. Upon release of the ball, my middle finger insert shot out, hit the ceiling, bounced off my lane and landed on the gutter three lanes over.
    I still struck, got the win, and everyone got a good laugh. The next day I bought some Gorilla Glue that I keep in my bag, and I always glue in inserts myself. My PSO shoved the inserts in the holes, but forgot to glue them in, and I never checked them.