Thread: Stupid Question - I Know

Chats: 55

Default Stupid Question - I Know

Please don't chastise me for this stupid question. I will be talking with my PSO sometime, but in the meantime am very curious.

I am a right-handed bowler. I use IT thumb grips and due to injuries and swelling issues have about 5 different sizes...maybe more.

I have been experiencing pain in my right elbow and have been side-lined from bowling. For how long, no one knows.

If, and this is a BIG IF, I were to attempt to bowl left-handed, would I be able to utilize the IT thumb grips I currently have as long as the size was correct? I wouldn't want to go to a huge expense of getting new balls, and grips for a temporary change. I really depend on my PSO for my drilling needs and thus, I am not experienced enough to understand the ins-and-outs of ball drilling.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Chats: 221

Biggest issue would depend on pitch. If it is differentthan for your right hand the IT will stick up above the surface of the ball
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    Please don't chastise me for this stupid question. I will be talking with my PSO sometime, but in the meantime am very curious.

I am a right-handed bowler. I use IT thumb grips and due to injuries and swelling issues have about 5 different sizes...maybe more.
    I have been experiencing pain in my right elbow and have been side-lined from bowling. For how long, no one knows.
    Sounds like tennis elbow, You can get a Master Elbow strap (or similar tennis elbow strap) works good, It helped clear it up for me years ago. I wear one all the time now to help prevent it and their cheap.

If you need a little more support go to the drug store and you can get one like a aircast with the little gel block that you can put right over the problem area.

If, and this is a BIG IF, I were to attempt to bowl left-handed, would I be able to utilize the IT thumb grips I currently have as long as the size was correct? I wouldn't want to go to a huge expense of getting new balls, and grips for a temporary change. I really depend on my PSO for my drilling needs and thus, I am not experienced enough to understand the ins-and-outs of ball drilling.
    Unlikely, Your thumbs are going to be different sizes, if they are ovals the oval angle will be wrong etc.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-05-2017 at 01:42 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    Biggest issue would depend on pitch. If it is differentthan for your right hand the IT will stick up above the surface of the ball
    Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Sounds like tennis elbow, You can get a Master Elbow strap (or similar tennis elbow strap) works good, It helped clear it up for me years ago. I wear one all the time now to help prevent it and their cheap.

If you need a little more support go to the drug store and you can get one like a aircast with the little gel block that you can put right over the problem area.

Unlikely, Your thumbs are going to be different sizes, if they are ovals the oval angle will be wrong etc.
    Yes, been using the tennis elbow strap for awhile now. Using every treatment I can think of - other than immobilizing - but to no avail.

Thumbs are not ovals, and I just thought having so many sizes I might have it covered. But what Stormed1 says makes sense.

Just trying to figure out a way to keep on bowling....
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!

Classygranny, I experienced pain in my right arm elbow a couple of years ago. I first tried the tennis elbow strap that I picked up at Dick's Sporting Goods and it tended to help. Didn't know what else to do; however, in the midst of all of this I made my way out for a coaching lesson. After a few practice shots I explained that my elbow was hurting me pretty badly. His immediate response was that I was short arming my shots. I suppose what I was doing was trying to put more revs on the ball or something and bending my arm which caused much pain over time. Again, it came down to muscling the shot.
    I'll suggest that you take some time and meet with a coach in your area to see what is causing your issue of elbow pain. If it's caused by something other than bowling, I guess you should visit the doctor's office as well.
    My best to you and hope this helps...
    PS... No more elbow issues here, but still likely do some muscling...

Thanks all for the answers. I am willing to try almost anything, short of amputation, at this point in time.

Yes, the pain is "tennis elbow". On about month 6 of trying everything I can think of. I have met with my coach 2 or 3 times to see if I can eliminate some of the pain while bowling. Am on a strong regimen of supplements. I wear a compression sleeve and tennis elbow band most of the time. I do cold laser treatments 2-4 times daily as well as daily stretches. Have now started a series of acupuncture treatments for 6-8 weeks. Not sure if I will have to be out of bowling this entire time, so I was looking for a way to bowl as I am going stir crazy not bowling.

It sounds like you've been down the road and back again. Sorry to hear your tales though.
    Did your coach see anything that might cause the issue you're experiencing?
    All I had to do was allow my arm to straighten out fully following the pushaway. I used to hold my ball at about mid level of my body (i.e., belt high or a little lower). Today I'm keeping my knees bent a bit and the ball quite low with my left hand holding most of the weight at the start. This more or less allows my right arm go for the ride until I push the ball away.
    I suppose anything you could do to minimize stress on your right arm may be key to finding a more comfortable way to go. I think you've been at this game for while. You'll figure it out.
    Good luck...

Found a website which talks about elbow pain related to bowling which may provide you with additional information:
    https://getmorehook.com/bowling-elbow-pain-explained/

Hope this helps...