Thread: Please help a new(ish) bowler here!

Question Please help a new(ish) bowler here!

Hi! I'm new here and I really need help. (Duh).

Ok, I want to make it in my High School Bowling team really bad this next school year, and need your guy's help on, well, everything. You see, last year I tried out, and almost made it, there were 6 spots, and I ranked 7th, so not too bad. Anyways, while I was there, I believed I scored a 80~ (mostly 9s, a few lower here and there) so I really need to bring it up.

I figure I should clue you guys in on a few more things.

I am from Chicago, Lefty, around 97 lbs or 43 kg, and have previously only bowled with 8lb balls, pretty sure I should be carrying more. I really want to learn how to hook, and need a good ball to help me learn, I have been looking at Urethane balls, maybe a nice Hammer Blue, as they are only 10 lbs, which is like the max I can throw.I have a really, hard time throwing strikes, I can never summon enough force, I guess, I normally get 9s and am looking to fix that.

Another serious flaw is that, well, I dont really move when I throw, I just stand at the line, aim, and throw, Ill try to work to fix that. My alley has fairly heavy oil, but I will be playing in a team that will be playing against other schools in other alleys, so preferably a oil adaptable ball.

One more thing, I got a job this summer, so I can get equipment, and want to spend a little less than $200 for my ball, the bag, shoes, and engraving. Sorry if I threw you guys quite a job and long plea, but I hope this helps, and thank you.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-07-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Improved readability

If you are of high school age and weigh 97 lbs., your small stature should not dictate that you throw a ball that is that light. If you want to compete at the high school level, you need to use at least 14 lb. balls. As you have saved you money for equipment, I would suggest that you talk honestly with the pro shop operator at the center where you will be bowling. Let him know your situation, and ask for his help. He will most probably be happy to help to show you the basics of bowling. At this point, don't worry about anything but the basics: a ball and shoes. You can carry a ball in a sling if need be, and you certainly don't need engraving (that practice went out with Y2K!). You may also want to find youth summer leagues that are still in session. Often youth coaches will be more than happy to help for free, or a very low fee. Good luck.

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    If you are of high school age and weigh 97 lbs., your small stature should not dictate that you throw a ball that is that light. If you want to compete at the high school level, you need to use at least 14 lb. balls. As you have saved you money for equipment, I would suggest that you talk honestly with the pro shop operator at the center where you will be bowling. Let him know your situation, and ask for his help. He will most probably be happy to help to show you the basics of bowling. At this point, don't worry about anything but the basics: a ball and shoes. You can carry a ball in a sling if need be, and you certainly don't need engraving (that practice went out with Y2K!). You may also want to find youth summer leagues that are still in session. Often youth coaches will be more than happy to help for free, or a very low fee. Good luck.

Just an addition--May want to consider working a little bit at a time with slightly heavier alley balls, just to build a little strength, before you drop a bunch on a new piece. Doesn't mean a new ball won't help, but you'll grow out of that thing in a hurry as you build strength. Believe it or not, I learned to throw a hook from reading a book (yeah, 1975ish, but who's counting). Get on YouTube and watch the pros. Doesn't mean you have to bowl exactly like one of them, but you can get the basics from watching what they do. Mark Roth was the biggest influence on my style. I don't look anything like him bowling, but I took a lot from him watching how he worked.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-289; high series-739

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by idelarosa1 View Post
    One more thing, I got a job this summer, so I can get equipment, and want to spend a little less than $200 for my ball, the bag, shoes, and engraving. Sorry if I threw you guys quite a job and long plea, but I hope this helps, and thank you.
    Rob has pretty well covered it.

As for equipment, check with the local proshops. A lot of proshops offer combo packages of a Ball and bag or Ball, Bag and shoes which are usually under $200. Sometimes the balls are just plastic, but some shops do offer entry level reactive balls in the combos.

As for engraving, If you want it go ahead, it's pretty much always included with the price of the ball. So it's not like it will cost anymore (if did it would only be a couple bucks). There's nothing wrong with doing it.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-07-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 22

Quote Originally Posted by idelarosa1 View Post

Another serious flaw is that, well, I dont really move when I throw, I just stand at the line, aim, and throw, Ill try to work to fix that. My alley has fairly heavy oil, but I will be playing in a team that will be playing against other schools in other alleys, so preferably a oil adaptable ball.
    If I'm reading this right, you don't have an approach. Like 3 step, 4 step etc. Once you learn to bowl with a 4 step approach or whatever, you'll be able to use a heavier ball with ease.
    "If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright

Welcome to the wonderful world of bowling! Everything our fellow bowlers has said is correct. It is probably for the best you move up in weight and work on the basics. Wishing you the very best in high school and hope you make the bowling team!
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by panbanger View Post
    If I'm reading this right, you don't have an approach. Like 3 step, 4 step etc. Once you learn to bowl with a 4 step approach or whatever, you'll be able to use a heavier ball with ease.
    Oh, that really helps? I'll try to start, one, two step at first, then more. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BowlingBoards.com View Post
    Welcome to the wonderful world of bowling! Everything our fellow bowlers has said is correct. It is probably for the best you move up in weight and work on the basics. Wishing you the very best in high school and hope you make the bowling team!
    Thank You!!

Oh, P.S, when I said engraving, I meant drilling, as I may buy an online ball since they are cheaper
    P.P.S I will also engrave along with drilling