Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article Research

Chats: 204

1. Do the two lanes that make up a “pair” usually play the same? Yes...with a standard deviation of 0.8 boards at the target and 1.0 boards with my feet.

2. What element(s) determine how a particular lane will play? Oil pattern or lack there of.

3. Can you make adjustments off of a bad shot? Yes.

4. Do you ever adjust off of the shots of other bowlers on your pair? No.

5. Do you pay attention to pin leaves on your lanes and others to anticipate transition? My pin leaves; yes. Other bowler's pin leaves; no.

6. Do you look for patterns in the scores of individual bowlers to anticipate lane differences? Rarely.

7. Do you decide what ball you are going to use in league before you come to the lanes? I use a progression system. I may alter my arsenal for different centers...but generally stick to a progression system.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

1. Do the two lanes that make up a "pair" usually play the same? At my center they generally do play nearly the same.
    2. What elements(s) determine how a particular lane will play? Has it been freshly dressed. During league it depends how the other team plays the lane especially with two or more crankers.
    3. Can you make adjustments off of a bad shot? I prefer not to; however, you should pay attention to how the ball reacts anyway.
    4. Do you ever adjust off of the shots of other bowlers on your pair? If there are players playing nearly the same line at mine, I'll pay much more attention and perhaps make a move to the left more quickly.
    5. Do you pay attention to pin leaves on your lanes and others to anticipate transition? Usually.
    6. Do you look for patterns in the scores of individual bowlers to anticipate lane differences? Not so much.
    7. Do you decide what ball you are going to use in league before you come to the lanes? I bring three reactive balls and a spare shot ball with me each week. Switch often...

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

1. The two lanes will typically have some similarities, but very often they will not play the same...there are too many variables that would have to remain consistent.

2. Oil, topography, lane surface, weather, indoor humidity/temperature, what other bowlers are doing, if they were stripped vs. filled, age of the lanes.

3. Yes, for example a bowler could pull a shot and discover hold that they were not aware of as well as missing outside and finding recovery. Speed adjustments could also be found based on how a ball reacts. Every shot can provide some aspect of information if given attention.

4. Yes, but the difficulty in this is making sure you really understand what their ball was doing throughout the shot and not just where it hit.

5. Yes, watching how the 8, 9, and 6 react as well as the ball path off the deck can help a bowler understand what is occurring down the lane.

6. No, unless we are discussing crossing pairs.

7. I decide what ball I'm going to throw at the beginning of warm-up and may have an idea of what I think the necessary ball choice will be, but this isn't determined until I have thrown my benchmark ball a few times.
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Chats: 64

1. Do the two lanes that make up a “pair” usually play the same? On House shots, usually, end pairs can be worse. At USBC, 50-50.

2. What element(s) determine how a particular lane will play? Previous play, equipment used, humidity and temperature, conditioner type, conditioner length, proximity to doors, lane surface type, lane surface topography, how people are currently playing the pair.

3. Can you make adjustments off of a bad shot? Sometimes I can, depending on how bad the shot is. Sometimes missing left and finding hold that wasn't there earlier can facilitate a 2/1 move left for example.

4. Do you ever adjust off of the shots of other bowlers on your pair? Yes

5. Do you pay attention to pin leaves on your lanes and others to anticipate transition? I not only adjust according to pins left but I watch the ball go off the lane on every shot and adjust based on how the ball finishes through the pins.

6. Do you look for patterns in the scores of individual bowlers to anticipate lane differences? I do not.

7. Do you decide what ball you are going to use in league before you come to the lanes? No

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12