Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playing deep all the sudden

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    What is the ratio equate 2 is it two boards left with the feet one board right with your target?
    two boards left with the feet one board left with the target. Keeps the same breakpoint but moves you farther into the head oil.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    two boards left with the feet one board left with the target. Keeps the same breakpoint but moves you farther into the head oil.
    Ok thank you for the clarification, I'll try that next week. I've always kept the same target and started with a single board lateral move.
    Rolling: Storm Snap Lock, Track Kinetic Emerald, Columbia 300 Freeze, and Pyramid Path Spare

Chats: 32

if you just move your feet your changing your breakpoint down the lane. On THS you can get away with that somewhat but if you've got a good move off the spot why change it? 2-1 adjustments allow you to play the same spot on the lane with just adjusting the amount of oil the ball is in. In most situations 2-1 as you move left 1-1 as you move right should be the norm (if your a righty)
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 204

This is the importance of knowing how to adjust your line based on what spares you are leaving.

A 4-pin or 4-pin combo is almost always a 1:1 move left. For Amyers, he uses a 1:2 move left. Right or wrong, no matter what move you make, you should have a plan. What you leave is the absolute easiest (to see) and most consistent way to figure out how you need to adjust. There are other ways...like where the ball exits the pin deck on a strike or being able to judge the small movements the ball is making as it goes in and out of the various phases of ball movement...but these are harder to see for even higher level bowlers...and can often be misinterpreted.

The trickier part is, and we had an extensive talk about this in another thread; how "good" does the shot need to be in order to adjust. The opinions on that vary. Today I left a 4-pin and normally would make a 1-1 left...but I felt like I may have pulled the shot a little...so I only moved 0.5:0.5 left. I made a better shot a couple frames later and it went through the nose...which for me is a 1:2 move left...so I made another 0.5:1.5 move left because my initial move didn't seem to be enough...but I got a lot of hand into that shot..so a full 1:2 off the 0.5:0.5 I felt might be a little too much.

These are the kinds of thoughts I have on almost every shot:
    1) Did I strike?
    If yes;
    a) Was it a good shot physically?
    b) Did I hit my mark?
    c) Where did the ball exit the pin deck?
    d) Was it a "lucky" strike like a brooklyn or where the corner barely carried?
    If not:
    a) What did I leave?
    b) Was it a good shot?
    - If yes; make the appropriate move.
    - If no; was it good "enough" to make a move?
    c) Is this a move right after 1 or more moves left (which indicates the need to change balls)?

It sounds complicated...and it IS mentally tiring...but the sport requires this type of anlyisis if you want to score consistently well. I've seen bowlers with a very high level of natural ability that have virtually ZERO mental ability to their game. And, sometimes they do very well. But, when they don't...it's like watching a moth try to get inside a light bulb...they just keep throwing the same shot and getting more and more frustrated...or they start randomly switching balls and hoping for the best.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12