Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article Research

Default Article Research

Please answer the following questions to help with my research for an upcoming BTM article. Thanks in advance for your help.

1. Do the two lanes that make up a “pair” usually play the same?

2. What element(s) determine how a particular lane will play?

3. Can you make adjustments off of a bad shot?

4. Do you ever adjust off of the shots of other bowlers on your pair?

5. Do you pay attention to pin leaves on your lanes and others to anticipate transition?

6. Do you look for patterns in the scores of individual bowlers to anticipate lane differences?

7. Do you decide what ball you are going to use in league before you come to the lanes?

Rob Mautner

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Please answer the following questions to help with my research for an upcoming BTM article. Thanks in advance for your help.

5. Do you pay attention to pin leaves on your lanes and others to anticipate transition?

6. Do you look for patterns in the scores of individual bowlers to anticipate lane differences?

7. Do you decide what ball you are going to use in league before you come to the lanes?

Rob Mautner
    1. No not typically, But they can have similarity sometimes. A lot would depend on the wear they've seen (topography), such as if a house uses certain lanes more often like for birthday parties, open bowling etc. than others.

2. Lane conditions, topography, how other players are affecting the shot.

3. Sure you can make changes after a bad shot, I'm not saying anything about basing specific adjustments on a bad shot per se. Just that if you wait until your making prefect shots to make a adjustment. Then you most likely will have waited too long to adjust, you've wasted so many frames you more than likely can't recover from it.

"Adjust too soon and maybe ruin one frame, adjust too late and ruin a game."

4. Hmmm, it depends on the player, the lines their playing and their relation to where I'm playing. I've moved and tried playing others line, when mine wasn't working .

5. Too anticipate transition? On my lanes yes, as for the others I haven't thought about in those terms. I watch what happens on the lanes near me and notice patterns in spare leaves. If the lanes on either side are leaving lots of say 2-8's or greek church's, my lanes will be doing the same. I'll watch what goes on and if I see something that might help me on my lanes. So to some extent I guess I am.

6. Not exactly sure just how you mean that.

7. I decide what ball to start with before bowling and change as/or if needed once I see what it does. I don't pick a ball and say Okay this is the one I'm using no matter what. ( A caveat: sometimes if I get a new ball, I might use it all three games the first time. To see just what it will do over the course of 3 games, to better understand how to use it later on.) (Unless it's just totally the wrong ball and/or there team scoring concerns).
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-08-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

1. Mostly close to the same Never exactly.

2. Not sure exactly when you mean. Like all the stuff 1820 said and weather, humidity also.

3. Why do that?

4. If we throw alike and it worked.

5. No just worry about yourself.

6. I only wish I was smart enough.

7. Yes I usually do. Usually wrong though.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

To add, I think 5 & 6 would be of more importance if you were moving pairs.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Rob Mautner
    1. Usually pretty close to the same, but I find there are differences. Frequently there's a board difference or they transition at different times. Also end pairs play very different lane to lane for example. I can be 5-6 boards further left with my feet and 2-3 at arrows on an end lane vs. the one next to it by end of game 1.

2. Everything... topography, weather, other bowlers, etc.

3. Yes, you still get info even on a bad throw.

4. I'll sometimes watch and if they come in high or something on a shot that looked good I'll factor that into my own adjustments. Depends on the size of the teams too. It's more helpful on a 5 man league for example vs a doubles league.

5. I pay attention to what's happening on my own pair. in terms of other bowlers one shot doesn't say much to me but if it's a few in a row or a noticeable adjustment then I factor that in before my turn.

6. Patterns in scores? Not for other bowlers.

7. No. I'll start in practice with my benchmark and go from there based on how it's reacting.

NO

Temp. inside the center, Humidity, if lanes are closer to exit doors, end pairs, each lane surface conditions, type of conditioners, type of bowlers on the pair, type of balls being used on the pair, track/age/wear and tear, etc.....

yes, most times. But I have to ask myself few questions before I decide to make any adjustments. "did I release it right?" "did I actually hit the areas I intended to hit?" Most importantly watching my ball motion and pin action - where in the pin deck did my exit.

Not always. I don't bowl with guys who are consistent. But with guys/gals who are, I do make guess adjustments from what I see. What I do most is watch guys during warm ups and see where their ball read the lanes. while they are warming up with knocking down pins, I'm testing my spare game.

Of course.

not scores from others, but my own data I've gathered over the years. There are pairs where I shoot better than others. There are certain pairs with the most 300's and 800's scored. So I guess I use others too.

I only bring two balls, one strike and one spare. My one ball matches up with me and the lanes. But if I go to another house or tourney, I don't even know what ball I use till I'm done observing.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

SandBagger

Rob Mautner
    NO If lucky they will be similar
    Weather, Construction, Oil Machine and if the lanes were used for OPEN bowling before league
    NO You shouldn't because an adjustment could mess up a good shot
    Yes A cranker can have an effect on breakpoints and oil movement
    Yes
    No See #5
    Never That is what an arsenal is for

Chats: 4

1. Do the two lanes that make up a “pair” usually play the same?...............No not always

2. What element(s) determine how a particular lane will play?................. the weather, lane topography, oil pattern, how the shot has broken down

3. Can you make adjustments off of a bad shot?.......................... you can but it will hurt your game even worse

4. Do you ever adjust off of the shots of other bowlers on your pair?..............sometimes but not always

5. Do you pay attention to pin leaves on your lanes and others to anticipate transition?....................in a word yes

6. Do you look for patterns in the scores of individual bowlers to anticipate lane differences?................sometimes

7. Do you decide what ball you are going to use in league before you come to the lanes?.......I use what ball the lanes/shot tells me to use
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Rob Mautner
    1. On a THS 60% of the time they're close enough

2. Topography. nearness to the entrance. Who has been bowling on it before.

3. Usually on the THS, unless it went right into the gutter. On sport patterns it depends on how bad the shot was.

4. Yes

5. Only the pair I'm on. Sadly this is true even when I know I'll be switching pairs.

6. No.

7. I usually have an Idea what I will try first
    John

1. In General, yes. I find differences come more across the center. We used to put birthday parties and kids on one side of the house, teenagers in the middle so we could keep an eye on them, and league bowlers who were practicing/smaller leagues on the opposite side. This creates uneven wear on the lanes and different types of wear patterns/topography

2. Biggest one would be other bowlers. What are they throwing and where are they playing.

3. Yes, there are times a pulled shot holds pocket and I realize there is hold inside and I'll make move left to utilize that hold area.

4. Yes, if there is a trend of multiple bowlers going high I'll move, or if I know a bowlers game really well I'll adjust off their shot.

5. Similar to the last question, if there is a trend of 4 pins I'll bump left a bit

6. When switching pairs, yes. If scores are low I assume the lanes are a bit tighter and close my angles. If scores are higher I assume they are a bit more open. Usually it's true, sometimes not.

7. I always start with my benchmark and go from there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast