Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So many distractions...

Default So many distractions...

I forgot how much concentration is necessary when bowling. It's been over 25 years since I've been in a league.
    I have been practicing a few times a week for the past few months. Usually the lanes are very empty. We went Friday and they were packed, some sort of small league and open bowlers.
    It was extremely humid outside and inside. The noise level...lol, I forgot how loud it gets. The fans weren't on because the owner said the bowlers claim they are distracting.?? Smokers on both sides of me, which bothers me now more than it used to. And the giant on the lane left of me! He was bowling as fast as he could not concerned with anyone around him. As he bowled so hard his balance was off so after every shot he would stomp to his right to catch himself. Partially in my lane with his arm and body.
    All this confirmed for me is that maybe I am not ready to join a league yet. I realize you can't blame everything around you. I guess my tolerance levels are just not what they used to be. I guess I get distracted too easily as well.

A league as you know is way different than open bowling. Most people who go out for a night of bowling really don't know much about bowling and bowling courtesy. They are there to have a good time. Therefore will holler and scream, chunk bowling balls halfway down the lane, and will stand on the approach directly next to you.. I went bowling in the middle of the day and there was a group of boys there about 16 years old 2 lanes down from me. While he waited for his turn he would stand on the approach next to me holding his bowling ball. One time he was throwing it up and down and just as I started my approach he dropped it. I balked the approach and went bag started my pre-shot routine over again and struck.

The house I'm at now is luckily the house comprised of the more serious bowlers. When I run into a lot of bowlers there they are likely league bowlers there practicing or a league going on.. Most of the open bowlers I run into there though seem to be much more respectful than most houses. I typically end up chatting with the people on the lane next to me and cheering them on. Lucky to have landed at the house I'm at now.

Either way man, don't let a bad night of open bowling get you down. Most people are there to have a good time and hoop and holler a bit.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    I forgot how much concentration is necessary when bowling. It's been over 25 years since I've been in a league.
    I have been practicing a few times a week for the past few months. Usually the lanes are very empty. We went Friday and they were packed, some sort of small league and open bowlers.
    It was extremely humid outside and inside. The noise level...lol, I forgot how loud it gets. The fans weren't on because the owner said the bowlers claim they are distracting.?? Smokers on both sides of me, which bothers me now more than it used to. And the giant on the lane left of me! He was bowling as fast as he could not concerned with anyone around him. As he bowled so hard his balance was off so after every shot he would stomp to his right to catch himself. Partially in my lane with his arm and body.
    All this confirmed for me is that maybe I am not ready to join a league yet. I realize you can't blame everything around you. I guess my tolerance levels are just not what they used to be. I guess I get distracted too easily as well.
    I'm so used to the noise that if our team is one of the last to finish the quiet bothers me.

Haven't had smokers inside the bowling centers here in CT in years. We still have them standing around outside the entrances so I know I would never be able to take it if the were allowed to smoke inside again.

While I probably wouldn't have said anything to your giant, and just tried to time my shots for when he was waiting for the ball return, I might be tempted to go up to him and say "hey, you might get hurt if you trip on me."

Best way to get used to all the distractions is to jump right in and join a league.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post

Best way to get used to all the distractions is to jump right in and join a league.
    I agree, you will get used to it. Leagues are not quiet by any means but they are not nearly as loud as open bowling. Eventually the hooping and hollering won't bother you and it will just be you on the approach and the pins. Everything else will be background noise.

Default Smokers?!?!?!

Oh yeah and Smokers?!?!?! Who lets people smoke inside anymore? People have not been able to smoke anywhere inside other than a bar in GA for YEARS lol.

Chats: 0

Jesus!

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking.
    Thanks!

Chats: 0

I just checked E-bay they sell ear plugs and blinders.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I just checked E-bay they sell ear plugs and blinders.
    Awesome! They also sell a$$hole detectors so I am in luck!!!

I apologize, totally not an appropriate response. Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast