Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sliding in with toes pointed outward - video posted

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Albundy View Post
    Bowl, see if you can confirm your thought with this side view. It was a month ago ..since then ive tried to keep my arm straight, head back, andslow down a bit

https://youtu.be/mf8ol9s8kP0

And thanks again....and any pain is managable. I get sore and go home and ice.
    You didn't appear to be leaning too far forward..

In the other rear views you didn't appear to do it all the time. I think the times you did it, It kind of looked like you were trying to put a little more on the ball maybe and you'd swing your trailing leg around a bit harder and it would break your heel loose and let you pivot some.

So maybe try to free that swing up a little so you don't have to put "effort" into it and so it feels consistent. Plus maybe try a different heel see what happens.

It doesn't look little a big issue, unless it's whats causing your pain issues.

If you have a coach I'd check with him since he'd be on the lane with you.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I'm not sure what others have said....

You're almost like Marshal Holman with the slide and releasing at the same time. I prefer the ball to arrive later after the slide foot stops sliding to get more leverage. I had that long slide and release at the same time - old school stroker. But I've learned to stop sliding, get a solid base, then release the ball. The ball moves much different for me doing this "modern" way.

The concept with the foot planted and the throwing arm follows after the foot is planted can be found in many sports. I martial arts, the power of a punch for example starts from the ground up with the lead foot planted.

Your foot adjusting itself after you immediately release the ball may be the result of the constant momentum of your slide moving forward (along with trail leg still moving to position, your lower body weight needing to stop) at the same time you releasing the ball with the slide foot not fully stopping. The heavy object leaves your hand, your foot correcting itself before fully stopping - think of your foot like the one inch punch. You have strong legs that it is so subtle and you have good balance. If your release was a split second slower, or arrives at the release point after you foot stops sliding, your foot may not need to adjust itself.

With that said, there are players today like norm duke who slides and releases at the same time with his slide foot pointing in the direction of his target or ball path. Maybe the one step approach drill may help you. Focus on sliding your foot with the toes pointing in the direction you are throwing or aiming then releasing the ball after your foot is planted. Again, I used to have a long slide and releasing the ball at the same time. in fact, I was still sliding a few more inches after my ball is way passed my hand, similar to marshal holman. He was one of my idols back in the day. Some times when I'm struggling with ball reaction it's because of this part of my game, sliding at the same time releasing the ball. No leverage.

It's not wrong sliding and releasing at the same time, that's how you bowl. That's how norm duke bowls. Then again, we are not Norm Duke lol. but if your hips is of concern and may want to seek a pro coach to help you out. and seek a doctors advice too. I'm not a coach, nor am I a doctor, but I've been around the "sports science", working with pro athletes and the function of the human body. The body has limits, but never the mind/brain. You have to be mentally ready in order to be physically prepared to do whatever it takes you want your body to do.
    Last edited by fokai73; 08-16-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Bowler
    Chats: 0

I like the Marshall Holman reference. I met him once 20 years ago while I worked at Sports Plus on Long Island. He, Amletto, and Guppy signed my work shirt and then my boss got mad and gave me a new one. For a little while when I was a kid I tried to bowl like him after watching him on tv.
    But anyway. I took a lesson at the synthetic lanes and I didn't have a slide problem! He said try changing the sole before you change the heel. Then I bowled later on the wood approach for my league and put the rubber heel on that I had never used since it's all i had and well..it made my leg awfully sore busting through the rubber the first few shots.
    I could use a bit more slide but I didn't have a balance or over slide problem. Hopefully my problem is solved. It's too bad you spend $200 on shoes then you have to pay another 50 or 60 before you figure out what bottoms you need.
    I suppose I'd have to change them when I switch bowling alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by Albundy View Post
    I like the Marshall Holman reference. I met him once 20 years ago while I worked at Sports Plus on Long Island. He, Amletto, and Guppy signed my work shirt and then my boss got mad and gave me a new one. For a little while when I was a kid I tried to bowl like him after watching him on tv.
    But anyway. I took a lesson at the synthetic lanes and I didn't have a slide problem! He said try changing the sole before you change the heel. Then I bowled later on the wood approach for my league and put the rubber heel on that I had never used since it's all i had and well..it made my leg awfully sore busting through the rubber the first few shots.
    I could use a bit more slide but I didn't have a balance or over slide problem. Hopefully my problem is solved. It's too bad you spend $200 on shoes then you have to pay another 50 or 60 before you figure out what bottoms you need.
    I suppose I'd have to change them when I switch bowling alleys.

They put the "medium" sole and heels on there to try and accommodate for the masses. For me what came on my Brunswick Stealths (S8 and H5) typically work well for me at most places that maintain their approaches.. However there is one house I have bowled at a few times where it also made my leg sore, more towards my groin very sore. And thats because the approaches were sticking so badly I was coming to an abrupt stop in my slide. I won't bowl at that house again until I buy the slipperiest (is that a word?) stuff money can buy. Hopefully your problem is solved sir. Good luck

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    They put the "medium" sole and heels on there to try and accommodate for the masses. For me what came on my Brunswick Stealths (S8 and H5) typically work well for me at most places that maintain their approaches.. However there is one house I have bowled at a few times where it also made my leg sore, more towards my groin very sore. And thats because the approaches were sticking so badly I was coming to an abrupt stop in my slide. I won't bowl at that house again until I buy the slipperiest (is that a word?) stuff money can buy. Hopefully your problem is solved sir. Good luck
    My first pair of SST8s came with four slide soles, two traction soles and three different heels. The second pair came with only three slides, one T2+ sole, an H5 and an H2 heels.

Admittedly, I have never needed the S2 slide sole or the H7 heel, and the one time the approach was too sticky for an S8, the S10 was way too slick. It still leaves a sour taste when the manufacturer reduces the ammount of product while keeping the price the same.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    My first pair of SST8s came with four slide soles, two traction soles and three different heels. The second pair came with only three slides, one T2+ sole, an H5 and an H2 heels.

Admittedly, I have never needed the S2 slide sole or the H7 heel, and the one time the approach was too sticky for an S8, the S10 was way too slick. It still leaves a sour taste when the manufacturer reduces the ammount of product while keeping the price the same.
    S8 sole a H5 heel was the only thing to come with my Brunswick Stealths. I got them on clearance and actually really like them so I'm not too upset about it. I think I paid $75 for them. Next pair will definitely be higher end, whatever Dexter comes out with next. Maybe The 10's??? Lol

Either way, I definitely at the one house need either a slicker sole OR not so grippy heel. I really never stick because I am now careful with where I walk with my shoe (shoe cover if not in bowling area) and I make sure I inspect my soles frequently to see if they need brushing. But EVERY time I go to this other place in Savannah I end up sticking and end up wire brushing junk of my soles from the dirty approaches.

To be honest, when I shortened my slide, over time my quad muscles on my slide leg started to hurt. There was a time I had to pull out of a tournament due to my leg muscle being so sore - I bowled multiple leagues and practiced 15 to 20 games a week too.

I took time off and reevaluated my slide. I went through different sole and heel combinations till I found that timing of my slide to be just right. But most importantly what I did was started working out at the gym. I'd do squats, stairs, lunges, and jumps. Today, I don't have that problem. Oh, I took up yoga too.......
    bowlingboards.com bowling ball winner!!

Is this before or after your 4 touchdowns at Polk High?

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Its been 20 years since i paraded the halls of my highschool with my custom made polk high jersey. Its been my favorite show since 1991.

Dang, I knew Polk High sounded familiar. Little slow here, I finally made the connection. Lol. I loved that show. I was a metalhead back then and I remember when Anthrax was on there, I freaked out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12