Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sliding in with toes pointed outward - video posted

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Default sliding in with toes pointed outward - video posted

Hi,
    All the videos I've taken this year and in the past years have me sliding in crooked and then straightening out as i throw it. This isn't good for my hip. So when i take that 5th sliding step my foot isn't facing forward. I might need that extra support for leg to hold my weight..or am i just walking sloppy? Sometimes I'll slip and my foot will slip outward to the right. Maybe I can switch the bottom my shoe.
    I'd love some feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eHHoWC648Y

Do you have pain in your hip from this or is this something you are wanting to focus on to prevent problems? I do the exact opposite of you. My toe is pointed slightly inward on my slide and as I come to a stop it straightens out. If you watch a lot of players on tour they do the same thing, toe comes in pointed slightly inward, some more than others.

You are doing the opposite though and I'm curious if this is giving you any nagging pain or not... You do seem to walk with your toe "slightly" pointed out but not anymore than normal. I did notice after watching a few times that your foot gets more crooked as it slides, does your shoes have rubber slide heels? Or just a standard heel?

Bowler

I had hip arthoscopic surgery last year..i slipped on the lanes twice and tore it. And have hip impingement..all these years of bowling with poor posture probably didn't help.
    'the 9' shoes came with a rubber sole but I didn't like it and ordered a slippery one (H7) and it is starting to wear. you can see some black spots. Do you think my shoe is slippery or should i walk differently?
    I'm bowling on wood now but more on synthetic in the fall. I notice a difference between the two.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Albundy View Post
    Hi,
    All the videos I've taken this year and in the past years have me sliding in crooked and then straightening out as i throw it. This isn't good for my hip. So when i take that 5th sliding step my foot isn't facing forward. I might need that extra support for leg to hold my weight..or am i just walking sloppy? Sometimes I'll slip and my foot will slip outward to the right. Maybe I can switch the bottom my shoe.
    I'd love some feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eHHoWC648Y
    My first question is did the shot in the video hurt in any way?
    If it didn't, the rotation of your slide foot is not a problem.

On those occasions when your slides off to the right, I highly doubt it is caused by your slide foot being angled outward. It's not like you're on rollerblades or skis where foot is going to go in the direction it's pointed. Most of the time a sideways slide is caused by being off balance, either because the last step didn't come under your center of gravity or the ball was too far away from your body at the bottom of the swing.
    John

Kind of hard to say what exactly is causing it. I would say if its not causing any pain then I would not worry about it. I was originally thinking that maybe a heel with some more grip would help your heel track behind your toes a little better and not slide out as much but I'm not sure. It was just a thought. I would say maybe go through your approach slowly without a ball and see if you come in more straight and then add the ball... Video both from the back, side, and if possible the front would probably help the most.. Compare and see where the difference is.
    I am sure some more experienced guys will chime in as well and add their .02 cents as well.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

First your looking pretty solid at line posting.

I think (and this is just a guess) what is happening is a slight forward to back balance issue.

When your releasing the ball your body appears to "pop up" raising up slightly (You can see it just as you go into the slide and release) and it appears to shift slightly forward more (a side view might help confirm this) also.

This places your weight more toward your toes, Then as the trailing leg comes around it's pivoting your body slightly on your toes (because the heel is swinging right and the toes staying put) as your weight shifts to stay balanced.

So you might try to stay down at the line a little better and see if that helps.

Unless it's really giving you a problem, It might not be issue, because everything else looks pretty solid.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-16-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

See..... Told you someone smarter than me would chime in soon lol.

Bowler

Great analysis! I also wonder if i should use a rubber heel on wood lanes. I bowl on wood but take lessons on synthetic and thats where i tested the new shoes and i stuck so i switched to a leather heel. But you may have nailed it. I dont let the ball freely drop enough. Theres a bit of effort used when i release and my whole shot feels different each time and my head moves like a bobblehead.

Bowler

Bowl, see if you can confirm your thought with this side view. It was a month ago ..since then ive tried to keep my arm straight, head back, andslow down a bit

https://youtu.be/mf8ol9s8kP0

And thanks again....and any pain is managable. I get sore and go home and ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Albundy View Post
    Great analysis! I also wonder if i should use a rubber heel on wood lanes. I bowl on wood but take lessons on synthetic and thats where i tested the new shoes and i stuck so i switched to a leather heel. But you may have nailed it. I dont let the ball freely drop enough. Theres a bit of effort used when i release and my whole shot feels different each time and my head moves like a bobblehead.
    Yeah, with some of the more grippy slide heels you have to have a lot of leg drive off your opposite leg to get it moving. I use the H5 and its about perfect for me, I drive of my back leg with a halfway decent amount of force so the heel is a brake for me so I don't go over the foul line.

I would try what bowl1820 suggested and just take it slow and see how it goes. Lots of video and reps and you should be straightened out before too long. Good luck sir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast