Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handicap

Chats: 0

Default Handicap

My team is in a new house for this season. Just went over the rules in the team meeting. Handicap is 90% of 1100 minus the sum of the bowlers' averages. If your team averages over 1100, you get a negative handicap. Anyone hear of that before?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    My team is in a new house for this season. Just went over the rules in the team meeting. Handicap is 90% of 1100 minus the sum of the bowlers' averages. If your team averages over 1100, you get a negative handicap. Anyone hear of that before?
    Hear of negative handicap before? Sure. It's not used that much, but not unheard of.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher

We have that exact rule where were you at the meeting I didn't see you? We found this to be the fairest system. We give the high team series and game money with H\C. That way who you are bowling makes no difference.

I guess I'm a bit astounded that a team could average 1100 or better. 5 guys that are 220? My last league had only one guy above 220. We won the league and only have two guys above 200. We had one 300 game and no one broke 800. There hasn't been an 800 series shot since 2013 there.
    We only changed houses because the maintenance on the pinsetters was so poor. They are outdated and parts are impossible to find. Ownership won't buy anything new. I'm guessing this year is their last year and will close. Been there since 1962, and they still have the same wooden lanes and approaches.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    I've heard of the concept but have never run into a league where it's been used.
    I have been in leagues an individual averaged over the handicap basis, and it was extremely difficult to make people understand that the basis needed to be raised. The lower average bowlers tended to think it was " unfair" that the best bowler should get one or two pins of handicap. It would probably have been easier to to use a negative handicap.
    John

To me, having negative handicap is more about punishing the better bowlers instead of evening the playing field.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    To me, having negative handicap is more about punishing the better bowlers instead of evening the playing field.
    That's the way the high average bowlers look at it, They all feel they are getting shafted by handicap as it is now (
    The lower average bowlers all have the advantages) let alone having to use negative handicap.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher

If you can't stand the negative H/C raise the cap to 1150. It is the same ****ing thing! All the years I have been bowling H/C is the hardest thing to explain to the bowlers. It is always too high or too low. If you try to explain it many just have their eyes glaze over.

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    If you can't stand the negative H/C raise the cap to 1150. It is the same ****ing thing! All the years I have been bowling H/C is the hardest thing to explain to the bowlers. It is always too high or too low. If you try to explain it many just have their eyes glaze over.
    Also if you dont like it then bowl in a scratch league...I dont get why people b**** about handicap when they're bowling 220.
    Rolling: Storm Snap Lock, Track Kinetic Emerald, Columbia 300 Freeze, and Pyramid Path Spare

Chats: 221

Years ago, back when I was healthy I shot 788 the first night. The next week I was neg 43 for handicap.
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast