Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muscling the ball...

Default Muscling the ball...

I am having a problem muscling the ball instead of a free swing. I feel like when I let the ball down in a free swing my wrist has a tendency to wiggle or turn without staying locked in place.
    My wrists are very skinny but I don't feel that the ball is too heavy.(15 pound)
    If I control the ball more my release is all over the place, some good, some bad.
    Any one have any suggestions or ways to test of the ball is too heavy?

Find a qualified coach. A modern release does not require that the wrist stays "locked in place." The wrist is supposed to break in order to increase the time between the thumb exiting the ball and the fingers rolling the ball. A good coach should be able to teach you this very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Find a qualified coach. A modern release does not require that the wrist stays "locked in place." The wrist is supposed to break in order to increase the time between the thumb exiting the ball and the fingers rolling the ball. A good coach should be able to teach you this very quickly.
    Kind of like throwing a yoyo, I have tried this and it felt perfect the first time and I definitely noticed an increase in rev rate and better axis rotation. After that I guess I started to think about it too much and I couldn't do it again cleanly to save my life.

A coach just isn't an option right now. Don't you need a really high back swing for a modern release?

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    A coach just isn't an option right now. Don't you need a really high back swing for a modern release?
    Nope, backswing height is a preference and is not really NEEDED. May help you squeeze out a little more speed but I have seen a guy at our house with EJ Tackett level revs and his backswing isn't near as high as EJ's.

Ok, cool. I need to study this some more...I guess you can't use any wrist support with a modern release?

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Kind of like throwing a yoyo, I have tried this and it felt perfect the first time and I definitely noticed an increase in rev rate and better axis rotation. After that I guess I started to think about it too much and I couldn't do it again cleanly to save my life.
    Is there a "Like" button?

I know there isn't.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Ok, cool. I need to study this some more...I guess you can't use any wrist support with a modern release?
    True.
    CJ is also correct about the modern release not being tied to a high back swing. You will need a loose swing and your timing has to be correct. While many players using the modern release have high back swings it is not the only way to generate the speed needed to match the added revs.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    Is there a "Like" button?

I know there isn't.
    Haha maybe they will add one. I will probably try it again someday, just too close to league time to be fooling around with it.

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Haha maybe they will add one. I will probably try it again someday, just too close to league time to be fooling around with it.
    I kinda disagree. There's no time like the present to try something new. That's how you improve. I'm not afraid of failing, I'm afraid of NOT trying new things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast