Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Muscling the ball...

The yo-yo analogy is really misleading. A modern release is like a yo-yo when you are "walking the dog." The wrist breaks, the thumb points down letting the thumb out and the wrist stays broken as long as possible until it reloads, letting the fingers roll the ball without lifting. The height of the backswing is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The yo-yo analogy is really misleading. A modern release is like a yo-yo when you are "walking the dog." The wrist breaks, the thumb points down letting the thumb out and the wrist stays broken as long as possible until it reloads, letting the fingers roll the ball without lifting. The height of the backswing is irrelevant.
    The modern release is whatever YOU make it. There is no one perfect swing or tempo. AND it can vary day to day.

I just love bowling. When bowling becomes a nuisance, then I'll quit.

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Ok, cool. I need to study this some more...I guess you can't use any wrist support with a modern release?
    No, because at the point of release you break your wrist / open your wrist / whatever you wanna call it. Assume you are yo-yoing with a yoyo... Take that same action and apply it to your bowling release and thats essentially what you will do.. I have found some pretty good videos on YouTube where the guy explains it well. I will link them here for you in just a sec.

It can be misleading I agree. But the wrist action to me is literally the same, just on a different plane.

Here you go Santos, hopefully these help... My PSO has told me to do this a few times and it has always confused me as I didnt see how it would put revs on the ball or work at all for bowling. These 2 videos cleared it up for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKwxhgS22gU&t=680s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zccvIVcVkDE&t=23s

Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Here you go Santos, hopefully these help... My PSO has told me to do this a few times and it has always confused me as I didnt see how it would put revs on the ball or work at all for bowling. These 2 videos cleared it up for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKwxhgS22gU&t=680s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zccvIVcVkDE&t=23s
    Awesome. Thanks CJ!

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Awesome. Thanks CJ!
    Anytime sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
    The modern release is whatever YOU make it. There is no one perfect swing or tempo. AND it can vary day to day.
    The modern release is NOT whatever you make it. It was developed specifically to allow bowlers to project the ball down the lane and control the revs; something that is not possible to the same degree with releases that lift the ball. AND it cannot vary day to day... unless you are not interested in developing any consistency in your game.

The modern release is NOT whatever you make it. It was developed specifically to allow bowlers to project the ball down the lane and control the revs; something that is not possible to the same degree with releases that lift the ball. AND it cannot vary day to day... unless you are not interested in developing any consistency in your game.
    Maybe you misunderstood me. I meant that not everyone has the same exact release, so yeah, it is an individual thing. And by varying day to day I meant that sometimes we have bad days or are slightly injured or whatever. I didn't mean you should purposely change your release day to day just for the heck of it.

I'm really interested in learning this release...I am definitely going to study some videos and give it a try. Thanks amigos!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast