Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro-Shop vs Online

Default Pro-Shop vs Online

Hi, I am a new bowler wanting to buy a new set of equipment, my local pro shop has some deals, but I think that it's a little bit more than I would like to pay, as i have a budget of like 125 for ball and drilling, besides the ball selection isn't all that great. The begginer bundle is good, but only offers a plastic ball,mediocre bag, and mediocre shoes, but what can you expect fot just 120?Anyways, I hear buying online is better and cheaper, but still, a pro shop would be more personal and more suited to my local Lane. What do you guys think?

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Find someone that has balls to donate to a new bowler. Your budget won't get you much. I usually give away half the balls I buy.

Since the limitation is a 10 lb ball, a donated ball will likely be a bit heavier than that.
    It's always a good thing to get to know the pro shop operator for help. They may be able to suggest something that will fit your budget.
    On the other hand your high school coach is probably your best bet to get some directions that will fit your budget.
    Good luck...

At my pro shop they have the Roto Grip Wreck Em for $135. The new RG Hustle Ink may even be a bit cheaper than that. I know this is slightly over your budget but you can't beat that price for the amount of ball you get.... I don't think buying online is any cheaper because once you tack a $50-$60 drilling fee on there it becomes the same... Storm Mix is like $95 drilled. Guess it depends on what type of ball you want. Like I said, i don't think buying online is gonna be any cheaper for you. I have done it before and it came out to be the same as if I bought it from the shop.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by idelarosa1 View Post
    Hi, I am a new bowler wanting to buy a new set of equipment, my local pro shop has some deals, but I think that it's a little bit more than I would like to pay, as i have a budget of like 125 for ball and drilling, besides the ball selection isn't all that great. The begginer bundle is good, but only offers a plastic ball,mediocre bag, and mediocre shoes, but what can you expect fot just 120?Anyways, I hear buying online is better and cheaper, but still, a pro shop would be more personal and more suited to my local Lane. What do you guys think?
    If this is your first ball you'll have to have your grip measured at a Pro-Shop, Typically the cost of fitting and drilling is included with the price of the ball there.

If you buy a ball online you have to figure the cost of the ball, plus the cost of fitting and drilling which you will have done at the pro-shop.

A option would be to get the ball (w/fitting & drilling) at the pro-shop and buy your accessories like shoes and bag online to save some money.

Another option (depending on the cost difference) would be checking to see if you can upgrade the plastic ball in the beginner bundle at the pro-shop to a entry level reactive or Urethane ball.

It's just a matter of weighing the cost of the different options.

Something to note also is, if your using a 10lb house ball now. When you get a ball custom fit to your hand, you typically can go to a heavier ball because the ball will feel lighter.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by idelarosa1 View Post
    For a first ball, you really need to have a good local pro shop to do the fitting. If you are currently throwing a 10# house ball, you should be able to step up to at least 11# or maybe even 12#. In the words of gold level coach Ron Hatfield, "Every bowler needs to have a plastic ball for spares." You might as well start with one with a fingertip drilling and learn to make your spares. With any luck, the high school coach isn't just looking for kids who already bowl fairly well, but has an eye for potential.
    John

Chats: 204

I agree with Bowl1820.

If you're trying to get ball, bag, shoes...$125 isn't likely to get you much....but you might be able to get close to that if you talk to the pro shop operator about getting a very low-level reactive ball instead of the plastic ball.

My first ball was a Storm Frantic and I paid $125 out the door for the ball, fitting, and drilling. But, shoes are another $50 and a bag is another $35...and that's if you buy used on Ebay. New shoes and bags can run closer to $110-$170 (combined).

Online is a great alternative if you're looking for something specific or a non-new release. You can get a very nice, high-level ball for $75-$100...but you still have to get it fitted and drilled...and that's another $55-$75.

Ask the PSO if he'll sell you the ball/bag/shoes deal and what it would be to upgrade the Columbia WD to an Ebonite Cyclone. Down the road...you'll probably want to add the WD once the Cyclone starts to hook too much to reliably take out the corner-pins...but one step at a time.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I went back and reread all the posts and have not been able to find out where idel1 said he was in high school or anything about his age. Nothing about he or she using a 10 lb. ball. Just that they are a new bowler. They just said they have a limited budget. There is nothing in their profile other than they are from Chicago.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    I went back and reread all the posts and have not been able to find out where idel1 said he was in high school or anything about his age.
    You needed to read this thread:

Please help a new(ish) bowler here!
    http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...-bowler-here!?

He tells about himself , ball weight etc. there
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-18-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

To everyone, I think you misunderstood, I have a budget of 200 not 120, I was just saying that 120 is very low and you cannot expect a combo at that price to have such good stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast