Thread: New ball for beginner

Default New ball for beginner

Hi! I need help finding a ball, I am looking to join my HS's bowling team and need some equipment. I want to learn how to hook and need a good ball to help me along the way, so like one with a medium strength, even mild hook, but at the same time it like has to go straight when I want it, as it will be like my one ball. Needs to be 10 lbs, as that is essentially the max I can bowl with accurately, and no, I can't just try out a standard 14lber. Previously, I have had a really hard time hitting strikes, despite me hitting 9s the most. I have been looking into balls, and the Hammer Blue Hammer looks promising as I hear Urethane is a good coverstock to learn how to hook with. My local bowling lane's oil is, well I'm not sure. When I went like last week and asked the lady in the front counter, she said she wasnt sure, but she thought it was heavy-ish, personally I agree, as the house ball did slide a lot, but I remember I asked the HS bowling coach and I remember him saying it was light. The Place is Lawn Lanes in Chicago for anyone familiar. But as I will be in a league, I will be bowling over all oils, so preferably something adaptable. I look to pay less that 135 for the ball as well as drilling, preferably 120-ish. Sorry if this was a bit long, and if my concept of anything is wrong, please feel free to correct me. Thank you guys for helping me in my choice.

I would try something in the Pyramid family. They have good prices and quality for a startup ball. Bowlingball.com ships everything free. Check out the Path Rising:

https://www.bowlingball.com/products...ver-pearl.html

No, I don't work for them...lol

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by idelarosa1 View Post
    Hi! I need help finding a ball, I am looking to join my HS's bowling team and need some equipment. I want to learn how to hook and need a good ball to help me along the way, so like one with a medium strength, even mild hook, but at the same time it like has to go straight when I want it, as it will be like my one ball. Needs to be 10 lbs, as that is essentially the max I can bowl with accurately, and no, I can't just try out a standard 14lber. Previously, I have had a really hard time hitting strikes, despite me hitting 9s the most. I have been looking into balls, and the Hammer Blue Hammer looks promising as I hear Urethane is a good coverstock to learn how to hook with. My local bowling lane's oil is, well I'm not sure. When I went like last week and asked the lady in the front counter, she said she wasnt sure, but she thought it was heavy-ish, personally I agree, as the house ball did slide a lot, but I remember I asked the HS bowling coach and I remember him saying it was light. The Place is Lawn Lanes in Chicago for anyone familiar. But as I will be in a league, I will be bowling over all oils, so preferably something adaptable. I look to pay less that 135 for the ball as well as drilling, preferably 120-ish. Sorry if this was a bit long, and if my concept of anything is wrong, please feel free to correct me. Thank you guys for helping me in my choice.
    For a beginning bowler the most important thing is to learn to deliver the ball consistently. Even for professional bowlers who have spent hundreds of hours practicing, the preferred method for going straight is to change to a plastic spare ball that will not hook unless there is absolutely no oil on the lane.

Okay having 2 balls is not in the budget, and you're not going to get a lot of strikes with a plain plastic ball. The usual recommendation for someone learning to hook the ball is an"entry level" reactive resin ball. The main features of these balls are that the have a less aggressive coverstock and a symmetric core. Get it drilled with a fingertip type grip and you should be able to throw a consistent hook. You should be able to learn how to make most of your spares with this ball, but ten pins and even the 6-10 leave may be hard for you to make.
    Good Luck!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    I would try something in the Pyramid family. They have good prices and quality for a startup ball. Bowlingball.com ships everything free. Check out the Path Rising:

https://www.bowlingball.com/products...ver-pearl.html

No, I don't work for them...lol
    Santos is right though! The Path Rising would be perfect for a beginning bowler.
    If you or your company would like to advertise on BowlingBoards.com, PM me.

Add this to your signature to show your support for BowlingBoards.com and the Bowling Forums

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums