Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Had my first lesson today.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    John: don't worry about it. As you can see from my other post, it's not really worth fretting over. I really should learn to keep my mouth shut. LOL
    What, me worry?
    John

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    I'm sorry to cause waves. I was trying to joke. I am not anti-coach. But I also have to laugh when someone asks for some advice and everyone says "get a coach!" I don't believe that's a realistic answer considering this is not a pro bowling forums.
    For us basic schmoes looking for some pointers we can't all afford or have access to a coach. This doesn't mean I don't have any faith in myself or learning new things. Not everything has to be so serious!!!
    Without some waves now and then this would be a very dull pond!

Don't worry about offending me. I've been around long enough to not take myself too seriously. While I, and probably most of the others who keep saying " get a coach" realize that it isn't always a viable option for everyone, it is the quickest, safest, and usually the best way to improve.
    John

Chats: 0

I cant refrain myself is this guy the new 2 handed sniper? nothing makes sense that he say's cant afford a few lessons so bug the hell out of people and then don't take advice when given. He would look really lame on Bowling chat...

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Without some waves now and then this would be a very dull pond!

Don't worry about offending me. I've been around long enough to not take myself too seriously. While I, and probably most of the others who keep saying " get a coach" realize that it isn't always a viable option for everyone, it is the quickest, safest, and usually the best way to improve.
    Agreed, I like waves once in a while but I have a bad habit of spouting off before thinking. In all honesty, a bunch of you guys have already taught me quite a bit. After being away from bowling for almost 20 years, I came back feeling like I don't know squat about this game. I love learning new things and appreciate you guys that know your stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I cant refrain myself is this guy the new 2 handed sniper? nothing makes sense that he say's cant afford a few lessons so bug the hell out of people and then don't take advice when given. He would look really lame on Bowling chat...
    Just a bowling lover returning to the game after a long time amigo. I am not sure how to take this post so I won't.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    But I also have to laugh when someone asks for some advice and everyone says "get a coach!"
    Just to say, I kind of understand the sentiment of this. I've been on all the bowling forums for along time and seen the same questions and responses that get repeated over and over and how people react to them.

The "get a coach!" response there awhile back seemed to me, to had became a real boilerplate response to "ANY" question asked (this has improved some though since then),To the point where I felt it was at the very least putting off some new users to a forum and they never came back.

At the worst it was putting people off of bowling, I remember a response onetime where a user basically said (after hearing the get a coach response over and over) if you had to get a coach before even picking ball up off the rack, the heck with bowling, and that's not a how you want a new bowler to feel.

Yes suggesting someone get coaching is fine, coaching offers long-term benefits. But it doesn't preclude answering a simple question that is asked also, if you have the ability.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-20-2017 at 08:58 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Just to say, I kind of understand the sentiment of this. I've been on all the bowling forums for along time and seen the same questions and responses that get repeated over and over and how people react to them.

The "get a coach!" response there awhile back seemed to me, to had became a real boilerplate response to "ANY" question asked (this has improved some though since then),To the point where I felt it was at the very least putting off some new users to a forum and they never came back.

At the worst it was putting people off of bowling, I remember a response onetime where a user basically said (after hearing the get a coach response over and over) if you had to get a coach before even picking ball up off the rack, the heck with bowling, and that's not a how you want a new bowler to feel.

Yes suggesting someone get coaching is fine, coaching offers long-term benefits. But it doesn't preclude answering a simple question that is asked also, if you have the ability.
    While getting a coach is advisable for those wanting to grow in the game it's important to understand some important facts. Different bowlers view bowling differently. While some choose to treat the game as a sport (I fall into that camp) there are just as many or more that treat it as a game and a social activity. There is nothing wrong with either mindset and we should be respectful of each other. We should all try and remember that a large percentage of us here as a community tend to be more serious about the game we do have members that bowling is simply a weekly activity and while they may have the want to invest some time on this site and to try and improve aspects of their game but they aren't to the point of buying multiple balls and hiring a coach yet. We need to remember All of us fit into this characteristic at some point in our bowling lives.

It's also important to note even as a semi-serious bowler I've bowled most of my life with out access to a certified coach even though I do have one now. I made do with suggestions from PSO's and other good bowlers. I don't know of a single bowling alley in my area that has signage up for coaching, cards on the desks, or any other real clue that it might be available. Even when I've visited large alleys in other states besides a small note on a pro-shop sign I've never really seen it promoted much in those houses either. My current coach drives 60 miles to give lessons in the alley I'm at.

There is no doubt in my mind that coaching has made me a better bowler but if it wasn't for the advice (admittedly some better than others) I was given from other people I would never have developed the love for the game that propelled me to be willing to find, pay for, and understand enough to listen to the coach I have today.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Good points, both by Bowl1820 and Amyers!!! Thanks!

Chats: 1

never had I thought my update on my lesson would spiral this far out.
    Rolling: Storm Snap Lock, Track Kinetic Emerald, Columbia 300 Freeze, and Pyramid Path Spare

Chats: 32

The butterfly effect in full force. lol
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast