Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A very sad time for me

Default A very sad time for me

After suffering from degenerative bone disease and arthritis for many years now, it's finally come time for me to step away from scratch and almost-scratch leagues where I can no longer be competitive. I plan on bowling in two recreation leagues beginning this year. This will allow me to either use a plastic ball to compensate for my lack of speed, or use a more aggressive ball with a one-step approach which is much less painful. This makes me very sad, but I still love bowling as much as ever, so I will continue to bowl in leagues where 150 games are not a cause for humiliation. God bless you all, and make sure that you never take your physical ability to bowl for granted.

Man, i'm sorry to hear this. Glad to see you are making the most of it and not quitting all together. Many people would do that. Good luck to you.

Wishing you the best amigo! Let us know when you hit that 300 game with the plastic ball!

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Sorry to hear that you're having to give up the competitive leagues, but glad that you're not giving it up all together.

Will you still be coaching?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Sorry to hear that you're having to give up the competitive leagues, but glad that you're not giving it up all together.

Will you still be coaching?
    I'm really not sure. I will definitely continue coaching Jr. Gold, but many of my students come as a result of my articles, and my articles are often the result of observations during competitive leagues. I'm letting my web site go, but I may still write an occasional article for BTM. Unfortunately, the demise of my bowling, caused by the demise of my body, has seriously affected local bowlers perceptions of my ability to coach. It's kind of like golfers realize that there is a difference between skills needed to perform and skills needed to coach, but bowlers... not so much!

It's sad to hear your story Rob. I've learned a lot from you and your articles.
    I've learned over the years that life itself is very fragile.
    We had a group of us that participated in an event (not bowling) each year due to the love of the activity. We competed well enough to achieve the highest honor as a group of five. After many years there are only two of us left now.
    Just think you're here with us and just as full of knowledge and love of this sport. It's valuable to all who will listen and take you seriously. Keep up the good work and I look forward to your posts and future articles on BTM. May God bless you...

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Sorry to hear this Rob, Good that your not totally stopping bowling. Who knows maybe this will present other avenues of the sport for you to investigate and report on.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 2

Really sorry to hear that Rob, hope you can still so some bowling for years to come and that the coaching stays on & successful. I remember when Bowling Intel folded, a lot of great writing you did disappeared forever. How long will your website stay up so those of us who want to, can print or save your work?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidjr113 View Post
    Really sorry to hear that Rob, hope you can still so some bowling for years to come and that the coaching stays on & successful. I remember when Bowling Intel folded, a lot of great writing you did disappeared forever. How long will your website stay up so those of us who want to, can print or save your work?
    I'm not exactly sure, but I'd estimate at least another week or so. I have to cancel contract tomorrow, but I believe that I'm paid up through the end of the month.

Chats: 2

Better get to work then

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast