Thread: Best urethane ball for wood lanes on the dry side?

Chats: 0

Question Best urethane ball for wood lanes on the dry side?

I am looking to try urethane this season on one of the houses I bowl at that is wood. Last couple of seasons reactive tends to snap too hard just at the last second. I can get there with plastic but you have to be really dead on flush to carry. What say you Brother (and Sister) Bowlers?

Thanks,

Brian in MI

I'm not one of the pros here but I always loved the Black Hammer. Love it back in the late 80's. The new one is supposed to be even better!!!

I guess this would help:
    http://www.hammerbowling.com/product...-real-urethane
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-21-2017 at 05:38 PM.

I wouldn't make any choices on Urethane until the Hot Cell releases in September. If that one lives up to the hype it may be a "must have". Other than that, the Pitch Black and Pitch Blue seem to be good options depending on how fast you throw and what your rev rate it like as well as the type of reaction you are looking for. Those were my top two until the birth of the Hot Cell. I will wait and see if that one is a bust or not first.

Btw, urethane seems to be largely opinionated based on the person you ask. Some people will say everybody needs one and some people will basically say only pros need them.

Chats: 32

The first big question you have to ask yourself when considering urethane is why do you want it? I see way to many lower speed bowlers look to urethane as a way out on wood or dry lanes that end up disappointed in the ball they purchased. Urethane hooks early so it ends up covering more boards forcing you left (for a righty) with a roll that favors straight lines not a good combo. Also with the earlier roll urethane will tend to roll out easier than a resin ball. If you have the speed to keep the line straight with urethane some bowlers feel they have an advantage especially on the tour where rev rate isn't a issue. In your local house that isn't true where I see it most successful is with the two hander crowd again rev rate not an issue.

If your seeing to hard of a hook on the backend try adding surface to a mid rg less aggressive ball you'll probably have a lot more success unless you part of the speed dominate crowd in which case you probably wouldn't be looking for the urethane to begin with.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I am confused...i always thought urethane hooks way less...so much to learn!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    I am confused...i always thought urethane hooks way less...so much to learn!
    It's all terminology of when the ball hooks. Most urethane will hook earlier but less on the backend so it appears to the eye that less hook is generated. For me anyway unless I can make the ball slide all the way to the pocket ie plastic with some oil. Most balls actually cover the same amount of boards it's simply where on the lane that hook happens. If it's truly drier wood lanes everything is going to hook even plastic.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I am a lefty who plays boards 4 thru 7 most of the time. Like most left handers i like the down and in and have my most success out there. I had some decent success with plastic but as I said in my original post carry can be an issue. I did play around with the on surface my reactive but still had the hard snap at the back allbiet not as bad as before I changed it. Urethane seems like it would be a happy medium that is why I want to give it a shot at the house with wood lanes. Thanks for the replies!

I used my blue hammer tonight and it worked very well right down the 4 board walked in nice and carried well. Being the first night I did let up a bit like most league bowlers do but I feel a good year coming at least at this house with wood and not a ton of oil!

Brian in Mi