Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Describing/Telling people layouts

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    I'm kind of happy to read this. After coming back to bowling, I have seen so much info on layouts and getting the right one, and the differences. Kind of freaked me out. I am not a pro but I started freaking out about having or getting the right layout...lol. Like you said, I have so much to focus on besides this. I also realize that the majority of regulars here are at a higher skill level.
    I tend to agree with aslan on this. I do believe you can screw a good ball up somewhat with the wrong layout for your style and the ball you choose but that's why you hopefully have a good PSO that has seen you bowl. In general I believe with surface adjustments you can make most changes that the average bowler needs.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

unless you truly know your PAP, the PSO is just guessing
    I tried finding mine a few times with the tape and camera method and got close, which for me, is close enough
    but, the Bower ID took all the guess work out

also, when you tell most bowlers what your 2 angle layout is, they look at you with glossed over eyes and node pretending to understand what you just told them
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Using layouts to control ball reaction has its place, but it's not for the casual league bowler. It's not just about trusting your PSO to use a layout that's right for you (one pin up and one pin down should be plenty), but it's also about trusting him/her to recommend a ball that is designed to do what you want it to do. The problems arise when you see a ball that you like whether it's because you've seen someone else using it successfully, the advertising, or you think it's a nice color, and you tell your PSO to drill it to do something else. So often bowlers buy overly aggressive, early rolling bowling balls, and tell their PSO's to drill it to go long and snap. It just doesn't work!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    So often bowlers buy overly aggressive, early rolling bowling balls, and tell their PSO's to drill it to go long and snap. It just doesn't work!
    Agree 1000% with Rob on that point. I don't know how many times I've seen moderately experienced bowlers buy sanded $300 balls and have to get it drilled 3 times because they want it to go longer. Meanwhile, bowlers that understand ball movement and bowling ball specifications go in, spend $130 on a 900 Global Boost, and lead their league in average.

And yes...I realize I often buy equipment and then have to drill or surface it to make it "fit"...but I know that going in and am saving 65% on the ball cost. AND...I've definitely been scaling back my "collection" as I'm leaning more towards paying a little more for exactly what I want...than pay a lot less, risk it cracking in storage, and then having to make things "fit".
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 1

I generally use 1 or 2 layouts. If I need the ball to go longer, or start sooner, it's easier to adjust the surface.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12