Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Picking a 7 or 10 pin

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Strikes for show, spares for dough.
    Never heard that before, I like it!

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by santos314 View Post
    Practiced today....grabbed a house ball to throw a straight shot at some spares....yeah, I think I like it....Dang, now I am going to have to get a spare ball!
    I got a pyramid path spare for 85 bucks drilled from bb.com about 15 bucks cheaper than any local pro shop. Plus they paid for me to send my favorite ball and they copied my specs and resurfaced that ball for free.
    Rolling: Storm Snap Lock, Track Kinetic Emerald, Columbia 300 Freeze, and Pyramid Path Spare

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    I got a pyramid path spare for 85 bucks drilled from bb.com about 15 bucks cheaper than any local pro shop. Plus they paid for me to send my favorite ball and they copied my specs and resurfaced that ball for free.
    Yes, I was just looking at those!

Chats: 0

Hey, I use the Pyramid Path too !
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Well that's a easy fix, just aim a little more left (or right as the case may be) and practice!

Forget the house ball and get one that "Fits" properly and as said above "PRACTICE".
    Yeah, I just tried it with the house ball for the time being. If I ever get serious about straight spare shooting I will definitely be getting a spare ball. My PSO has already been telling me that I need to get a Storm Mix drilled up to shoot spares lol.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksox1 View Post
    Hey, I use the Pyramid Path too !

Me too. I just switched recently. I was using a Storm Mix but occasionally it would still pick up and hook a little so I decided to get the cheaper plastic ball I could and that was the Pyramid Path.

Percentages it seems say throwing a plastic ball cross lane straight at corner pins is the highest average result for most players, but there are certainly a
    number of bowlers who have a high level of success using a strike ball and throwing it straight.
    I usually use a plastic ball but decided in this summer league not to carry the extra ball and used my strike ball, rolling the ball flat with no rotation by having the fingers and thumb at 12 and not rotating the hand with index finger snugged in tight and pinkie finger spread wide resulted in a straight ball with very little hook.
    For most of the season I was pretty happy with the results, but on fall league I have a locker so carrying the extra ball isn't a factor, I'll probably use the plastic ball.
    I bowled with guy this summer that threw a backup ball with his strike ball at 10 pins, he actually was pretty good at it......not that anyone would recommend that method.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Percentages it seems say throwing a plastic ball cross lane straight at corner pins is the highest average result for most players, but there are certainly a
    number of bowlers who have a high level of success using a strike ball and throwing it straight.
    Yes if your good at flattening out your shot, you could use your strike ball (and many do).

Another good reason for using a plastic ball for shooting corner pins is the possibility of ball damage. When shooting at the corners, the balls are typically traveling faster, hitting hard etc.

If it goes in the gutter it can bounce up and hit the rack etc, the ball can hit pin jams back in the pit. So it's better to have that happen to a cheap plastic ball than your strike ball. Also it helps reduce the amount of oil your strike ball is picking up, so helps your strike ball last longer.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Another good reason for using a plastic ball for shooting corner pins is the possibility of ball damage. When shooting at the corners, the balls are typically traveling faster, hitting hard etc.

If it goes in the gutter it can bounce up and hit the rack etc, the ball can hit pin jams back in the pit. So it's better to have that happen to a cheap plastic ball than your strike ball. Also it helps reduce the amount of oil your strike ball is picking up, so helps your strike ball last longer.
    I can certainly see this. When I shoot any single pin spare if I hit it head on the ball ends up hitting the pin twice. The pin typically flips upside down and the ball smashes it against the curtain in the back. If I just missed it, it exits off the pin deck going full speed which for me is about 16.5mph depending on the day. I don't normally miss single pin spares but even if you barely kick one out to the side, the ball is still coming off the deck pretty hot.

A couple weeks ago in practice getting ready for the upcoming league season my target line accuracy was all over the place. Was wondering if it was release or armswing inconsistency? Thinking on how to check it. Came up with this:

Insert thumb only in the ball, let the fingers just drape over finger holes. Basically just kinda 'palming' the ball w/ thumb inserted. Slow down the backswing to keep control & not lose the ball off the hand & just swing arm @ the target. Well, the ball skids downlane forever, kinda like a knuckle ball. Makes 1-2 revs at most just before the pins. Straight as an arrow! Tried this shooting spares as well, all of them. Really worked and really showed you if your accuracy is on & armswing is directed properly. Might want to try this in practice as well! Who knows, might just end up incorporating into your game. It's a lot easier than trying to master broken wrist, flathanded, or backup releases!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast