Thread: League Meeting! (Wigs on the green tonight!)

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default League Meeting! (Wigs on the green tonight!)

Alright we had the organizational meeting for my Tuesday 2017-18 league, there were wigs on the green tonight.

Started off pretty smooth, just the basics. They raised the USBC dues to $21 ($13 National, $8 Local), Nobody particularly cared, Bowling($15) and sponsor($24) fees stayed the same as last year.

The big dust up was over handicap, Simply put what happened was a bowler made a motion to raise the base figure the handicap was based on from 230 to 260. So that the base was higher than the highest average on the league, which is what is usually recommended leagues should do.

He did a good presentation, he did what you should do to present your case for something. He researched it, planned what to say, made handouts. The only thing was he overlooked one important detail of the league! Which was what team handicap was based.

On this league individual handicap (90% of 230) was used for league awards only. But for team handicap,The handicap was based on 90% of team difference.

So his presentation was assuming team handicap was based on using the total of the individual handicaps. Which was the old way the league had done it, Before they they changed it to team difference.

He didn't realize if they passed his motion the way he presented it, it wouldn't have affected team handicap, Which was what he was trying to change.

Another bowler got up to question him about this motion, I had the feeling these two have had ""Discussions"" before about handicaps. This bowler started to mention the team difference problem and ask about it, but he had to bring up something else about handicap in the same breath.

This caused the discussion to start getting heated, pretty quick and it wound up ending and the team difference problem got overlooked.

Well I jumped in and was able to point out to him and everyone else, to do what he intended. They had to remove the rule about using team difference for team handicap, otherwise his change wouldn't affect the team handicap. (I think most didn't realize this till it got pointed out)

So the motion was altered , we had a vote, The league went back to using the individual handicap (90% of 260) system for team handicap.

I talked to the man that made the motion afterwards and he said yes he totally overlooked the team difference part and he had to go apologize to the other guy.

The last problem and I was waiting to see if anyone brought this up, had to do with a new USBC rule change.

The new USBC rule is:

100g Handicap
    5. A handicap game or series shall not be capped unless otherwise provided by league rule. If a league
    adopts such a rule, a game or series cannot be capped below the highest possible scratch score.

Well someone got up and made a motion to add such a cap on handicap games/series (@ 300 game / 900 Series), there was some discussion. But I don't think most understood what the full ramifications of this would be, the broad way it was worded.

So when I got my chance I got up and pointed how this didn't just affect league awards (High hdcp game), it could affect team wins and loss's also. Unless it was worded properly and specified just what the cap applied to.

Example:
    Say Team "A" shoots a hdcp score of 1100 and Team "B" shoots a hdcp score of 1119, So team "B" wins by 19 pins here.

Now team "B" had a player that shot a 320 hdcp game. If they cap handicap games at 300, the team would lose 20 pins.

Now team "B" only has a 1099 score, so they lose by 1 pin now.

I think a lot leagues are not going to realize what can happen if they don't word their rule right about having a cap on handicap scores.

The vote on this didn't pass, The meeting wrapped and we were done
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-23-2017 at 12:27 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

That sounds like how a meeting is supposed to go. I was at my Tuesday meeting last night and had to explain why it isn't just a Capt.'s meeting. Everyone gets a vote.

Pin Crusher

Funny how important topics get little or no traffic. Maybe this should be in the General topic area or have a better name. What does that name mean anyway? I almost didn't open it.

Chats: 32

Yeah I didn't read this at first either. We had a similar situation in out league meeting for our Wednesday Men's league. Shows why it's important to be familiar with the rules and attend you meetings.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Funny how important topics get little or no traffic.
    Actually traffic has not been bad for a recent post, 15 of our active members have read it ((My board allows me to see who read a thread.).

Just a FYI: If you see a thread with a lot of views, the biggest part of those are from searchbots/spambots crawling the pages.

Maybe this should be in the General topic area
    Since this was a league related matter, this was the appropriate forum. As you can see here:

Forum: Beginner, League, Sport, and Recreational Bowling

Are you a Bowling Beginner? Or a Bowling Veteran? Maybe a Sport Shot Bowler or you just play for fun. Join the other Bowlers in this Forum Talking about Bowling Leagues, USBC Rules, Bowling at different Houses/Centers, or how to get started bowling.

or have a better name. What does that name mean anyway? I almost didn't open it.
    The name was meant to make you curious, But I've updated it anyway.

"Wigs on the Green" is a old saying that means a fight or difference of opinion that could lead to a fight has happened. It was originally a Irish saying which started back when men wore wigs. When a fight broke out, Those wigs would get knocked off on to the ground thus the saying came about.

You can hear it said in the John Wayne movie "The Quiet Man"
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-25-2017 at 12:28 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Ringer
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Thanks for bringing this information up, as stated it is important to be brought up for leagues thinking about such rules.

Also jealous to read about a league meeting that wasn't a waste of time. Joined a little mom and pops league in Colorado so that my wife could bowl (she has never bowled in a league before) and this meeting spent 30 minutes complaining about the raise in sanction fees (how they raise the price and you don't get anything more out of it, they probably just pocket the difference, etc) and another 30 or so minutes about how it is unfair for a team missing a bowler to lose pins per missing bowler (sigh...).
    Currently in the arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (@2000), Hammer Gauntlet Fury (@1000 polished), Roto Grip Idol (@2000), Storm IQ Tour Emerald (@1500 polished), Storm Phaze 4 (@1500 polished), Hammer Cherry Vibe (@1500 polished), Hammer Black Widow Urethane (@1000), Jet Blackbird

Cranker

I read the post, I just didn't have anything to add as the league I'm on aren't using any of those handicap rules.

Also my league meeting isn't until this coming Wednesday and I just got elected Secretary so that should be interesting. I hope I don't screw up the league. This league has been around 30+ years. =P

Pin Crusher

I am Irish but have never heard anything about wigs on a green. You learn all kinds of stuff on here.
    I have noticed that you can get more traffic on here and many bowling sites with silly stuff like what color ball hooks more or some advice to a bowler on where to stand without ever seeing them throw one ball.
    Your league meeting is the most important thing other than showing up every week that you should do. Yet if it isn't right before you start the 1st night you are lucky to get 25% to show up.

Pin Crusher

Just got home from the meeting. I read 5 1/2 pages of rules. Not one question.

Nice title, I think the resurgence in use of the term probably was as a result of it's inclusion in the quiet men.

I've heard a lot of interesting Irish sayings, being that my folks, and many friends, and relatives are from Ireland

and I can't recall hearing it used, maybe it was and I just wasn't paying attention ...... Just for fun I'm going to ask my mother about it this weekend and see if she remembers hearing it used.